Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Divsion of assets, maintenance etc

(5 Posts)
NoraAron Fri 17-Jul-15 08:26:13

Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction for advice on how assets are divided when a marriage ends and how maintenance payments are worked out? Basically I have a small business (turnover around 15k per annum), the vast majority of the assets of which have been bought by me. My husband is a high tax bracket earner. We rent, I have several thousand in a tax free isa, he has no savings of which I'm aware.

I'm the primary carer of my child, and I'm assuming at this point that I will continue to be and that my husband won't contest this or try and take her away from me. I will be claiming HB etc when we separate.

Any advice would be brilliant.

PurpleWithRed Fri 17-Jul-15 08:32:48

Start thinking along the lines of 50:50 split of assets (including pensions, savings, cars, value of your business if sold as a going concern etc) plus look at the csa website to calculate child maintenance. If it's not that simple or that doesn't leave you enough to house dd then you'll need mediation (posh for haggling).

NoraAron Fri 17-Jul-15 12:06:59

So if my only income is from my business and husband is on 50k a year, I still have to split the businesses assets in half so he gets half? Even if it means my business is screwed? confused

RedHelenB Sat 18-Jul-15 08:29:01

Not if that's the way you have of making money for yourself and your child. It will probably be off set against his higher earnings. best thing is to see a couple of solicitors for a free half hour session and then they will give you more of an idea of what you can expect.

NoraAron Sun 19-Jul-15 11:17:16

Thanks for the info. Next stop CAB to find a decent solicitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now