Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

childcare tax credits - worried

(2 Posts)
Marymum12345 Fri 17-Jul-15 00:10:43

I was filling in the forms for childcare costs gathering bank statements etc to send off to HMRC and to my horror realised I had made a big error. We had been getting childcare vouchers for our son with a local childminder and I changed to paying her from childcare tax credits in September 2014. What I have only just realised is that in an award letter from August HMRC gave me money for childcare from June, so there was a period of about 10 weeks where I had been paying the childminder from childcare vouchers but also getting the childcare element for the same period (about £500 total). I can't remember the conversation with the HMRC at all, though I must have said it and I guess intended to change earlier. That whole period is very confusing as I had a high risk pregnancy and ill with twins that were born over two months early in August. The were in special care for 6 weeks and had a lot of needs when they came home. So I can't even think how I made the mistake, but it wasn't deliberate. Since September all my payment records have been fine and I have just sent it all off with an explanation. I am really worried, not about the amount, ( I just want to pay it back now). but I don't know what will happen next, how far this can go. Has anyone any advice or experience they can offer, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

zolabud81 Fri 17-Jul-15 01:21:49

Try not to worry I've gone through the concentrix check which was scary but u didn't do this on purpose if u owe then anything they may take it back in installments or u may he able to make a repayment plan. Don't worry to much it not like u made a fraudulent claim I was going through a very emotional and painful time in tour life

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now