Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Statutory maternity pay - how much do you actually take home?

(11 Posts)
lilyb84 Mon 13-Jul-15 17:05:46

Hi all, hope this is the right section for this question!

Just wondering if those of you currently receiving statutory maternity pay could enlighten me as to how much you actually take home each month after tax etc? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much of my earnings I'll need to make up with savings in a few months' time, and how much time I'll therefore be able to take off...

So this is JUST the statutory pay that you get after any other schemes have ended (the £139.58 per week).

Thanks!

addictedtosugar Mon 13-Jul-15 20:02:33

It depends on how much tax you have already paid in the year: so how much you earn, and where in the year you go on Maternity.

If you went on ML on 6th April, and took the whole year, you would pay minimal tax. I got tax rebates towards the end of the tax year.

Sorry, no easy answer.

lilyb84 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:46:27

Thanks addicted, I had no idea it was affected by the amount you earn and when in the tax year you start ML. Clearly I need to read up on this more!

FantasticMrsFoxx Wed 29-Jul-15 11:35:08

I've just received my payslip for this month.

My basic pay is £558.32
No NI deduction.
I pay 6% towards my pension -£36.29
I started SMP this financial year so they've worked out they owe me tax +£72.40

My take home pay is £594.43

CarrotPuff Wed 29-Jul-15 14:36:24

Tax free allowance is £10,600 a year. This works out as £800+ per month. SMP is £500+, so unless your tax free allowance is much lower due to certain benefits (i.e. car) you won't pay any tax.

skibeauty Wed 29-Jul-15 16:47:09

I was going to ask exactly the same thing, I'm due to start maternity next week. FantasticMrsFox - is that £72.40 back every month?

FantasticMrsFoxx Wed 29-Jul-15 20:19:19

This is my 2nd month of purely SMP. The figures were exactly the same last month so yes, two months of +£72.40 in tax.

skibeauty Wed 29-Jul-15 20:59:17

That's good to know I did wonder if they divide it equally between months. Thank you

CarrotPuff Thu 30-Jul-15 14:10:17

Foxx based on the numbers you provided, you are not getting tax back, it's the pension that they add on top of your basic pay.

I've never heard of tax being added back to your wages, you normally just get a cheque through post from HMRC for tax rebates, although I could be wrong on this one.

FatimaLovesBread Thu 30-Jul-15 14:20:29

I got tax back on my SMP. If you're on PAYE then they try to adjust it month on month so that it works out correct over the year.

I took mat leave in November, the first few months I got SMP plus about £35 tax back then after April just received SMP with not tax taken off

Purpleball Thu 30-Jul-15 14:28:17

If you're on a cumulative tax code and start SMP partway through the year then the amount of tax deducted on the SMP will be adjusted.

Each month we take the earnings to date, subtract freepay and calculate tax on what's left. Freepay is the proportion of your tax code for each month so 10600/12 = 883.33

Tax cumulative calculations are done on a year to date basis. So each month the tax is calculated on your earnings so far then what you've already paid is taken off to leave that months tax figure.

Example if you earn 24k a year and start SMP in October, you've paid tax each month on 2k a month, assume £400 a month tax. So by the end of September you've paid tax on 12k, let's say the tax is £2400.
When you're paid in October, the YTD earnings might only be 12,500 with the SMP so the tax on that is probably 2000, so you'd get 400 back.

I haven't used exact calculation figures but there is no hard and fast rule. You won't get the tax back every month, and it won't be the same amount. Your payroll dept might be able to help you, but IME lots of them can't do manual tax calcs

Expect to get the SMP amount and any extra is a bonus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now