Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

AIBU over school uniform?

(5 Posts)
notjusttheirmum Mon 13-Jul-15 12:37:31

AIBU refusing to pay £15+ for a cardigan for school with a logo on? I always buy 3-5 cardigans at the start of term, but only asda or next etc so expense is kept to a minimal, but school are insisting on ones with a logo. On top of shoes, pinafores, polo shirts, tights, the new pe kit the children 'must' have, I personally can not justify the expense! Anyone else been in this situation & what have you done?

ShirleySmears Mon 13-Jul-15 12:44:04

No-one needs 5 cardigans.

Have they changed the uniform? Usually it's phased in so they can wear the old stuff until it's too small.

DSs have to have a jumper with logo (£34, think yourself lucky!) but they only have one each, bought big to last at least 2 years.

If you can get everything else from the supermarket, it's only the cardigan and it's "only" £15 then I don't think that's too bad TBH. If it really is a problem for you, talk to the school, they will be expecting to buy some to placate complaining parents and help struggling families.

redskybynight Mon 13-Jul-15 12:48:57

Why on earth do you need 5 cardigans? 2 would surely suffice. (my DD only has 1, and no she's not the tidiest child in the world - we just sponge it off at night). It sounds like you have multiple children, so if you buy big and hand it down you'll get your moneys worth smile

FernGullysWoollyPully Mon 13-Jul-15 12:49:23

They don't need that many cardigans. Mine have one cardi or jumper each.

But i do understand what you mean about cost. The school uniform shop that we can get our logo'd gear from sells them at £10-12 each, which I think is horrendous.

Fortunately, Our school has a deal going with Tesco where you buy the tesco cardis and they will embroider our school logo onto them. Maybe that should be one for your schools suggestion box??

GingerCuddleMonster Mon 13-Jul-15 12:54:45

can't you buy 4 plain ones and 1 logo one and keep it for "best" school photos, events ect?

This is what we did and still do as a family with schools. The school have never objected as they know they have a logo one for events and can understand you don't want a £15 cardigan ruined by pva glue glitter and whatever else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now