Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Hmrc are driving me mad!

(3 Posts)
BWeeze Mon 13-Jul-15 09:28:49

Self Assessment time came and went! My partner and I saw the adverts agreed that we were pleased it had nothing to do with us, then much to my surprise end of April we get a letter from HMRC saying we owe them for a late fee for a self assessment that they never sent us. They then send us an appeal form so we appeal as my partner was self employed for a month in 2013 and made little to no money at all! They refused our appeal so begrudgingly we paid the £100 late fee (I repeat for a form they did not send) beginning of June they have calculated the amount of tax that he owes but he was working for a company (and was no longer self employed plus we notified HMRC when he started this new job) in those dates so I don't know how they calculated it! But we owe now them £174 in tax which has to paid no later than 31st of July.
Later on In June we get another letter saying we now owe them £900 in late fees as we haven't sent in his self assessment. Partner rings to be told that we owe them nothing?!
This month I have received a few conflicting letters; first letter dated 06 of April which arrived in July hmm saying they now want our 2014-2015 tax return!? Second letter dated 15 June saying that they agree to withdraw the notice to file tax return for 2013-2014 and my third and final letter just dated June 2015 telling me I've overpaid £100. At the bottom if this letter it says "because your tax return is more than 3 months late you will have to pay a daily penalty. We will write to you shortly to tell you how much. Any repayment due will not be made unless you contact us"

I am so confused. It doesn't make any sense and at this time I don't know if I owe them or they owe me? My partner is going to ring them today to try and sort this out, I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through something like this or knew what we should say to these people? Advice please?

TalkinPeace Mon 13-Jul-15 21:44:33

they stopped sending out forms years ago.
You'll have had a notice to complete a return in the April
and if they issue it, you have to complete it

don't ring them
just get the forms done online

BWeeze Wed 15-Jul-15 19:34:53

Fact still remains we didn't receive any form of notification. Doesn't matter now anyway they've agreed they are at fault we so won't be paying any bill and will be having our deposit refunded. Wouldn't of been sorted if OH hasn't of rung.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now