Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car tax rebate?

(11 Posts)
fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 21:10:13

Any experts here?OH has a new job, started beg June, last job had a company car, which he was taxed on but handed back when he left. Would he be due any rebate on the tax he has paid for those two months? I know he had two months of car benefit but is it a straight pro rata payment, or does the fact he has a threshhold mean he has maybe paid too much over the forthcoming year? I cant get my head around the logic .

TalkinPeace Thu 09-Jul-15 21:29:50

pro rata, back into your bank.
worked a treat when I sold my car

but only if the ownership of the car changes .... why did he tax a car he did not own?

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 21:50:53

No I am talking about income tax on company car, not road tax,

TalkinPeace Thu 09-Jul-15 22:02:02

oh, sorry, not till next years's coding through the p11d

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 22:07:39

THanks talkinpeace- would he actually be due a rebate? I can't fathom the logic. My instinct tells me yes, I knwo he has had the car for two months and has to pay tax for those two months, but because of the threshhold he has been taxed at a higher rate than he should be once balanced over the whole year.

Im not explaining myself very well, sorry. And I cant explain my fuzzy logic to him either- he thinks I am wrong but I would like him to at least enquire, which he is reluctant to do unless I can explain my reasoning.

TalkinPeace Thu 09-Jul-15 22:09:24

Unlikely.
P11d works through annual coding : when they get their arses in gear his code will rise so he'll pay less tax for a few months
no rebate but reduced tax IYSWIM

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 22:13:25

Thanks, I don't mind in which way any overpayment comes though, a reduction in TAX for a couple of months would be fine- so is my thinking correct then- that for those two months he is due a reduction or rebate when balanced out over the year?

TalkinPeace Thu 09-Jul-15 22:18:20

no rebate
just reduction
and it could be many, many months till it happens

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 22:25:22

OK thanks.

Belle888 Fri 10-Jul-15 18:30:42

My husband has a company car and has had a large rebate (over a grand) when he changed to a more economic car half way through the tax year. Unfortunately it isn't until your p11d is done that they will back date. Hope that makes sense x

fourtothedozen Fri 10-Jul-15 20:15:54

Thanks Belle, he has spoken to the TAX office today, so hopefully is sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now