Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Budget and ESA and Work

(5 Posts)
Jane190 Thu 09-Jul-15 15:19:56

I'm hoping someone can help me understand. I'm currently on ESA, in the support group. I want to work. If I work more than 16 hours and am then entitled to tax credits, with the changes coming in, will I be much worse off? I'm hoping someone here will know. I will work, I really really want to, but I just want to know what I'm likely to be in for. I would imagine I'd be doing a job on a low wage. Thank you.

TalkinPeace Thu 09-Jul-15 15:37:14

you need to use one of the calculators on .gov.uk

Corygal Thu 09-Jul-15 15:56:32

I think if you go to more than 16 hours, you'll be moved to tax credits or income support. There is also a disability element to tax credits, but I believe that that was cut entirely if you are single in yesterday's Budget.

In the first place, it depends how much you earn, so use talkinpeace's calculator.

In the second place, be bloody careful about what you tell the DWP you're doing - be honest, but don't put yourself in a position whereby you suggest that the illness or disability you have been claiming for has suddenly vanished, or they may 'reassess' you as fit and you'll never see ESA again.

8dayweek Thu 09-Jul-15 16:13:35

You can do something called "Permitted Work" or "Supported Permitted Work" whilst claiming ESA which might be worth looking into...
https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

Jane190 Thu 09-Jul-15 20:23:08

Thank you for replying and for your help. I've been trying to find anywhere that says the disability element of wtc will be scrapped if you're single...Corygal, can you remember where you found that out?

The permitted work sounds like the best first step in any case - the stress of work may well restart my illness anyway so to try to avoid this I think I should start slowly. It would be madness though if I was worse off working than claiming ESA. I want to work in a way that won't make me ill, I want to not be trapped forever reliant on the state..I'm 37, I've decades left of my working life, and I'd really like to think I won't always be poor if I work hard and am lucky enough not to get hit with recurrence of my condition. It's very stressful trying to just hope it'll be OK without any evidence whatsoever.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now