Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

3rd child blended family tax credits

(8 Posts)
Sleepyhoglet Thu 09-Jul-15 13:34:27

What happens if a woman has her first child after April 2017 but it's her partners 3rd or vice versa? It seems things are getting stupidly complicated...

AnyoneForTennis Thu 09-Jul-15 13:50:12

Where do the other 2 live?

lougle Thu 09-Jul-15 14:04:07

If they live in the same house/pass the 'couple' test then the baby would be the third child.

Sleepyhoglet Thu 09-Jul-15 14:04:19

Hypothetical. So it's down to where they live? Hope this doesn't mean loads of families saying their step kids can't live with them hmm

GatoradeMeBitch Thu 09-Jul-15 14:57:47

The sad thing about this is that I bet we will see threads in a few years about men (or women) booting their existing children back to the other parent because they're having a baby with the new wife (or husband).

lighteningirl Thu 09-Jul-15 15:00:32

Doesn't it really just all come back to if you can't afford a third child don't have one. My dh and I didn't have a child as we both already had two and couldn't afford for me to take time out. If you can't pay for your child why should I?

ProbablyMe Thu 09-Jul-15 15:09:56

Ummm well when I had 4 children with my exh we could easily afford it as he earned a very good wage and we had no need to rely on benefits. Now we are divorced and I can't work due to my youngest sons medical problems (my exh doesn't help with any of it). I guess I should just cull a couple of kids as I'm now dependant on benefits eh? It's never a black and white issue is it? Circumstances change. My DP and myself very much want his DDs to come and live with us (this is what they have repeatedly requested themselves) but without the assistance of tax credits this may not be possible and they may have to stay with their mother (who receives much more in benefits than we would from the extra tax credits!)

Viviennemary Thu 09-Jul-15 15:21:25

It will be based on the household I should imagine. The family with whom the children live will get the tax credits. But there will be allowance for exceptional cases I read yesterday. But they should start chasing up Fathers for child maintenance rather than rely on taxpayers who have children of their own to support and are probably haven't got enough money themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now