Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

child benefit application

(3 Posts)
fishcake84 Thu 09-Jul-15 13:00:59

Hello all - seeking a quick bit of advice.

Just had DS1 a few months ago and have been slack about registering for child benefit. Pre-baby I earned (just) over £50,000pa. I won't be on that when I return to work part time next February and now I'm on maternity pay I obviously don't earn that much this tax year either.

Should I tick on the application form that I earn more than £50,000 a year or not? Technically my part time work application hasn't been agreed yet but it is awaiting rubberstamping....

Frankly, the idea of filling in a self-assessment tax form fills me with dread!

LIZS Fri 10-Jul-15 08:20:58

A SA assessment really isn't a big deal . If you largely have PAYE income it is very straight forward once you receive your p60/p11d. Ticking that box will trigger HMRC to send you a letter inviting you to register for a return. You do need to elect to receive the payments now because you will be entitled to receive the full amount due to ml overlapping both tax years and perhaps only earning pt wages going forward. Or do you have a husband/partner also in the higher earnings bracket ? They only back date CB for 3 months btw.

fishcake84 Sun 12-Jul-15 07:42:22

Thanks LIZS. I only just realised about the three month backdating, which is why I'm getting my skates on now! DH isn't in the higher income bracket so no complications there. Think I'll just go ahead and tick "no" to the question on income - it is definitely accurate for this tax year and likely to be accurate going forward too. Thanks for the help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now