Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with Housing Benefit, wrongly calculated

(3 Posts)
OneBigHeadache Thu 09-Jul-15 06:55:33

Hi, looking for some advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation or has any knowledge of the housing benefit system.

My husband changed jobs a few months back, in to a higher paid job. I informed them of my husbands new job and they told me I needed to provide two months of payslips. Couldn't do that as he had literally just started. I offered to send them his contract which stated his annual salary and would send the payslips as and when he got them. Fine, all done.

A week later I received a letter from carers allowance saying I had been awarded CA as I look after my disabled son. I went onto my HB account to fill out the online form to let them know I was now getting CA and I saw that my claim was suspended. I called them and they had suspended my claim a few days before as they had received information that could cause an overpayment. This information was that I was receiving CA. Bearing in mind I had only been notified myself that day. They obviously share information between govt departments and they were informed before me!

I asked what would happen now and they said they would recalculate it. I asked them to if there was any more information/evidence they needed from me and was told no, we have everything.

A week or so later I received the recalculation. It's was that I am entitled to £0. They had put my husbands new job down, as well as his old one. Apparently he works two 40 hour a week jobs and we earn quite a lot! Would be nice, but unfortunately not.

I called them again and they said that it was my own fault for not providing his p45 from old job. I told them that I was never informed that they needed that information, that I had asked them to confirm that they had all the info they needed and I was told yes. I have the date and time of that phone call as well as who I spoke to. Was basically told, tough.

My husband hasn't received his p45 from previous employer yet, but I got his old manager to write a letter stating he didn't work there anymore, his last day etc.
Gave that to council they said fine, will be processed within two weeks.

It has now been 3 and this month's rent is due next week. I don't know what to do

OneBigHeadache Thu 09-Jul-15 06:58:53

Posted too soon!

My husbands wages will cover the rent (just) so that's going to get paid. But then we'll have nothing left after that. I haven't once received any letters from them to say my claim was suspended, to ask to provide evidence or anything. I have had to chase them every step of the way and now I don't know what more I can do.

Thanks for reading

OneBigHeadache Thu 09-Jul-15 18:18:36

Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now