Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Please help: nanny and spliting tax code

(2 Posts)
Wigglyrascal Tue 07-Jul-15 11:11:50

Hello,

I'm currently a nanny full time with one family. Mum is going on maternity leave later on this year and they can only afford to keep me on for 2 days a week. I therefore need to find another job for the remaining 3 days. My concern is how having the two jobs will implement my tax.

Would it be more beneficial to split my tax code in this instance? If so how is this done? Or would it be easier/ better to have my usual code for one of the jobs (if so, which one?) and have the BR tax code for the other (again, I have no idea how this works). I will be on £10 an hour net (would it be better to arrange a gross agreement instead?) for both jobs, 20 hours with my current job and 27-30 hours with a new family.

It's all so very confusing and I don't know what to do for the best.

Many thanks

softhedgehog Tue 07-Jul-15 13:27:56

You need to arrange a gross salary with both families - if you want to know what £10 per hour net would look like gross, put it into a tax calculator with the tax code and your total hours. Then it doesn't matter if your tax code is split, you'll just get more than £10 per hour net from one family and less from the other as one will be paying more tax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now