Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

anyone know anythign about housing benefit as regards to offspring?

(4 Posts)
NoahVale Sat 04-Jul-15 13:21:36

ds is 20 and not earning very much, left college at christmas and doesnt appear to know what to do with his life.
he earns roughly £100 per week.
Now we have had a letter from housing benefit. Tax credits and housing benefit class him as a non dependant but now they are asking about his pay.

Does this mean if he earned £30,000 per annum that would be taken into account for our housing benefit?? he doesn't but does it make a difference to them what he earns?

forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Athenaviolet Sat 04-Jul-15 13:27:03

Yes!!!

There is a 'non dependent deduction' that will vary depending on his income.

Earning non dependent a are expected to contribute to rent payments.

You should have told them about this change of circumstance. You may have a significant overpayment! shock

You shouldn't still be getting tax credits for him so I'm confused why you mentioned that.

NoahVale Sat 04-Jul-15 13:30:40

I am not getting tax credits for him, on the forms he is listed as a non dependent.

NoahVale Sat 04-Jul-15 13:38:27

it is ok.
Turn to us has solved my problems.
we dont owe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now