Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self employed/employed

(6 Posts)
2boys1girlforme Thu 02-Jul-15 13:56:46

I am self employed but earn very little, £250-£400 per month so obviously don't pay any tax at the moment.
I have just taken on one hour employed work a week (£9) so I still won't be earning enough to pay tax. BUT, do I have to pay tax on a second job no matter how much I earn?
Am I know employed and self-employed?
I know absolutely nothing about the way this works!

2boys1girlforme Thu 02-Jul-15 13:58:34

*now

MovingStress Thu 02-Jul-15 13:59:41

You wont pay tax if you earn under the threshold in tots. You will need to register as self employed and do a tax return

2boys1girlforme Thu 02-Jul-15 14:01:10

Hi
yes, I have been registered for years as SE, do a tax return every year.
So that status will remain exactly the same?

MovingStress Thu 02-Jul-15 14:09:05

I think so. I did it the other way around - already had employed job when I started earning self employed income. So my paye hasn't been affected. Don't know if you need to declare your self employed income when you start your employed job. I haven't told my 1st job about my extra earnings and it doesn't affect my tax code, just needs including in the taxeeturn

2boys1girlforme Thu 02-Jul-15 14:18:09

Thank you. I have told them I am self employed and not earning enough to pay tax. She is sending me a P46?
I've been out of employment for so long!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now