Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits repayment help please, sticky!

(5 Posts)
sportify Wed 01-Jul-15 21:42:40

Last year I separated for a short while from my h and went to stay at my mums with a view to something more permanent. I had my three children with me and applied for tax credits. It took a long time for them to come through and I was finding it really hard to manage with the kids and obviously not working as they are still very young. My husband works full time though.
Anyway I ended up coming back as it just wasn't working and let HRMC know as soon as I'd moved back. During that week I got another lump sum of arrears. I now owe £1000 back.

The only reason I moved back was because of the circumstances and we still basically live separate lives. H gives me an 'allowance' each month and we don't have joint bank accounts. I need to pay it back from my own allowance but I know he'll be really annoyed if he finds out.
This is just the way the relationship is. I won't go into detail here.

I'm now worried that they will ask for it all back at once since he is working and we are living under the same roof. Do you think they would give me more time to pay it back?

midnightvelvetPart2 Thu 02-Jul-15 19:14:18

Have you made a new claim, is it in joint names?

If he finds out then he has no right to get annoyed, its not your fault & he stfu.

They won't expect the money back in one go as long as you keep in contact with them. Phone them & ask to make a payment arrangement, it can either be taken from any new claim (which is why I asked) or you can set up a DD to them to pay it off every month. I was able to pay £20.00 pm , it has to be an affordable sum for you.

sportify Thu 02-Jul-15 19:35:37

Thank you midnight. No, I didn't make a new claim. It was just in my name when I left. They've sent the letters to me only so hopefully still that way. I also so wondered though if there was a 'next time' ie me leaving would it be easier or quicker if I've done it before.? I'd never claimed anything before this time and it was pretty drawn out which was the main reason I had to return.

midnightvelvetPart2 Fri 03-Jul-15 10:34:29

I don't know if it would be quicker or not if you left him again tbh as the new claim would have to go through the same channels. Might be worth putting some savings to one side if you can, just in case.

Have you thought about anything else you may be able to claim, any HB or income support or suchlike? If you're not sure then make an appt with the CAB who can tell you what benefits you are eligible for, may make it easier next time smile Remember he would have to pay child maintenance as well.

I wish you the best, if you ever need emotional or practical advice about leaving him then post in Relationships, as its busier than in here plus there are many posters (including me) who have experience of leaving/divorcing a partner with small children. Its not always easy but once you're out of an unhappy relationship & the money side is sorted then you can start to breathe again smile brew money is never a good reason for staying in a rubbish relationship however it may seem at the time x

sportify Fri 03-Jul-15 20:47:11

Thank you midnight. I'd really appreciate practical advice. Can I pm you maybe sometime?
Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now