Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Fair split of house proceeds?

(3 Posts)
HoundPaws Mon 29-Jun-15 07:30:05

Prior to negotiation, what would a fair split of a jointly owned home be please? House value £225k mortgage 45k I put in £50k originally he put in £20k more recently and has been paying mortgage side I had to leave nearly 6 years ago. Any opinions gratefully accepted thanks

HoundPaws Mon 29-Jun-15 07:30:43

Sorry since I had to leave

BedmonsterSlayer Wed 01-Jul-15 16:47:48

I would say depends on how much the mortgage payments were over those 6 years , but I would be thinking about 55/45 split of the 180k ish equity in your favour.

That's based on the 6 years of mortgage payments being slightly less than the 30 k difference in contributed.

I'm assuming as the mortgage quite small the payments also quite small , and 50k some years ago worth more than 50k now.

If mortgage payments more than £400 pcm then I would say go for 50/50 as otherwise his contrib starts to eclipse yours.

Also I don't know how long you were both paying mortgage so have ignored that aspect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now