Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Money hungry

(7 Posts)
Blackbeauty91 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:12:24

Hello all, I'm 24 single female my parents never where around. I never met my dad and my mom left my life when I was 11 but even when she was around my aunt would take care of me. I'm living with my aunt still. If I wouldn't of got into this car accident i had a year ago I would have the money to move out. Anyway I live with my aunt and so does my girl cousin with her boyfriend and baby. their in there early 30s. My other cousin lives there as well and he's 24. Well I've always been the only one paying rent and it doesn't bother me cause at least I know I don't live for free. But it makes me really sad and makes me feel so alone when my aunt can't have my back cause she knows this paycheck I'm really short with my bills cause I had to renew my insurance and she's making a big deal telling me she needs her rent money and can't even give me a break when she gives everyone else a break. One time I did pay a bill late just to give her rent money when I wasn't even stating there for the summer I was staying with my best friend and it back fired cause I payed my car payment late where one of my uncles had co signed me. So they called my uncle and my uncle called my aunt asking why I was late and she never told the truth she never said it was cause I gave her money she said that she doesn't know what I do with my money. Idk sometimes I feel so miserable where I live cause I feel like it's unfair but my aunt makes it seem like I'm crazy for being bothered that I'm the only one that pays rent. Before I didn't even have my own room. Thank god now I do. Sorry just wanted to vent.

midnightvelvetPart2 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:20:25

Sorry to hear about your troubles, do you gave an idea when you'll be able to move out? Sounds awful.

Could you house share with your current rent amount? with friends or students maybe?

Blackbeauty91 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:31:39

Maybe next year if nothing unexpected happens, I really hope I can. I did but that was my friend that was in an abusive relationship. But I'll be looking or just be patient I guess. Thanks for readingsmile when I vent I feel better.

Outwith Sat 27-Jun-15 19:32:39

Sorry, it's slightly difficult to follow, but it sounds like your aunt's two children also live with your aunt. I can understand that it's annoying that your two cousins don't have to pay rent but you do, but this is really up to your aunt. Wherever you live, you will be expected to pay rent (and to pay it on time), so I don't think that you can reasonably complain about this.

Can you afford to live somewhere else? Or can you save money at all? The website Money Saving Expert is really good. Lots of luck.

Outwith Sat 27-Jun-15 19:35:29

Also, just to add, could you pay your insurance by monthly instalments next time? It usually costs a few £ more, but if you can't really afford a one off payment, it can be a good idea.

RedandYellow24 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:37:28

I can see why it makes you sad if you lived there since you were a child and out of 4 I dependably adults in your aunts house you are the only one paying anything.

Surely if your aunt is desperate for the rent she could also charge a small token amount to the others.

How much is it to rent room in your area? I would consider moving just to be free of the emotional strain

AndNowItsSeven Sat 27-Jun-15 22:59:01

I think the op is American? Maybe post on a US site if you need specific advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now