Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I think I'm entitled to a PPI reclaim but it's so complicated. Not sure where to start!

(13 Posts)
AmIReadingThisCorrectly Fri 26-Jun-15 22:46:12

Hi, as you can probably tell from the thread title, I am a little confused, seriously considering a claims company right now but if I can do it alone then I'd prefer that...
The main problem is that I have a lot of accounts which I know I was mis-sold PPI on (I was told it wasn't optional, plus I was made to take it out when I was a student and had no regular wage and then when in a very secure job with great sick pay/redundancy benefits).
Anyway, the issues are as follows:

1. I've changed my name (got married) and address since holding these accounts so need to change them with the banks/companies (not a problem I think)

2. There are 2 loans, 3 credit cards and 2 store cards I think I can claim on. 1 credit card is still open (no balance) but all others are paid off and closed (mostly around Aug 2008).

3. I only have account numbers for the store cards and credit cards but not for the loans. However the current account linked to the loans is still open but no direct debit/standing order details remain in there.

So... I don't know where to go from here. Please don't judge me for the financial/organisational mess I know I've created. I currently have no credit card debt and a mortgage so I have sorted things out, I just had a really, really bad time as a student caused by my family's financial issues and also some bad choices on my part. I lost a LOT of money to bank charges as well which I'll never see again so am really hoping I can get some PPI back to boost my daughter's savings!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Stubbed Fri 26-Jun-15 22:49:22

Ring the banks where you had the accounts / loans / credit cards and ask for a claim for each. Then you will know what info is needed.

gamerchick Fri 26-Jun-15 22:50:12

Go to money saving expert.. There is a template letter on there and loads of advice to get you sorted.

Do not use a company. Say you get 3 grand back for eg.. They'll take a grand in fees.

Don't worry it's not as complicated as you think.

cerealqueen Fri 26-Jun-15 22:50:34

Money saving expert website have all the letter templates you need and advice!

AmIReadingThisCorrectly Fri 26-Jun-15 22:59:27

Can I still ask each bank for details even though I don't know all the account details?

Zebda Fri 26-Jun-15 23:06:51

It's not difficult, just call the banks concerned and tell them you believe you are eligible. Tell them when you took the loans, and also that you were advised it was a condition of loan (that is the most blatant form of misselling) They will guide you through the rest.

The claim companies will do exactly the same as above, you'll still have to complete forms etc, and the claim cos will take 40-50% of your payout for this 'service' It's money for old rope for them - they are scams and should be banned!

Ahrightsoted Sat 27-Jun-15 20:46:14

I bit the bullet last month after a friend's husband had got a refund. Mine was with barclaycard, a card I've had on and off for years but paid in full and closed two years ago.
I went on Martin Lewis's website and it gives all the details of what to do. I downloaded the form but with barclaycard their own form is on their website. Completed it all giving as much info as I could remember. I got a letter to say it was being dealt with and today I got another.......
They have agreed i was mis sold and have refunded me.......£4905!!!!!! I can't believe it. Should have the money within 4 wks
So go to every bank you've dealt with and do it, it's so simple. Good luck

AmIReadingThisCorrectly Thu 17-Sep-15 22:49:25

OP here...just wanted to update...after a bit of digging I found that I had PPI on 2 loans and 2 credit cards. I took the advice and encouragement given here and wrote to all of the relevant companies. I've since had offers of refunds from all of them, totalling just under £7500. This has made a huge difference to my family so a huge THANK YOU to everyone who advised me to go it alone - it was definitely worth it smile

PrudenceDear Thu 17-Sep-15 23:46:55

Wow!! Wow wow wow!! My husband keeps on how he needs to do this. Plus a claim for all that extra stuff on his back account that he never used. I know I'll have to do it for him but no idea where to start.
Can you claim on mortgages too? We had a right pirate selling us our first mortgage...... Can't remember what we ended up paying but at one point he tried to add on so much it more than doubled our mortgage!!

Sunshineandsilverbirch Thu 17-Sep-15 23:57:05

Ring the companies concerned and they will talk you through it.

Babelange Fri 18-Sep-15 20:57:24

If it's Barclays you can go to their website and put all your known details in the template for online submission - you can just put in 'don't know', financial institutions have fairly extensive archives and teams of elves to do the research for you. grin

TreeHuggerMum1 Thu 01-Oct-15 10:35:08

What if you're not sure you had PPI and don't have any paperwork to hand? I had an Egg card and 2 black horse loans years ago and no idea if they would have had PPI....confused

Savagebeauty Tue 13-Oct-15 07:01:33

Yes I had a Barclaycard way back in 1985 and have no idea if I had PPI at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now