Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I need advice about exH claiming benefits

(9 Posts)
Ladygaggia Thu 25-Jun-15 21:33:30

My husband and I separated in March as I couldn't live a loveless life with a man who had no interest in supporting his family.

Since I moved out, he still hasn't been earning money and is facing eviction.
I'm not getting any support of him naturally and finding it hard to make ends meet on my wage. I get very little tax credits and no housing support. My son stays with him on a Friday night, but my daughter has no interest in staying with him.

He wants me to sign over receiving child benefit to him, as he has been told that he will be eligible for housing benefit and council tax benefit if he receives it.

He is suggesting that if I don't do this, then he'll have no where to live. I've told him I need every penny, but he thinks that he'll give it back to me. He just needs to claim it to be entitled to support.

I'm worried that I'll lose out.
But, if I don't do it, then he'll never get in a position to provide any maintenance.
What would you do??

MythicalKings Thu 25-Jun-15 21:37:47

No, don't. You may need benefits yourself and will need the CB to claim them. Also, it's fraud, and you could be in trouble.

strawberryblondebint Thu 25-Jun-15 21:37:54

I wouldn't do it. It's fraud. He's clearly going to claim hb as of the children lived there all the time. He will have to claim council tax reduction and housing benefit as a single person which he clearly is. And then there is the risk he doesn't give you any contribution. He sounds like a waste of space. Don't enable him to stay like that

wannabestressfree Thu 25-Jun-15 21:39:26

Personally I wouldn't. It would leave you very vulnerable financially and he needs to sort his own finances out.
How is he proposing to give it back to you if he needs it for housing etc.
It would be a firm 'no' from me.

Absolutely not. He'll have to get a job, won't he, as a person with no restrictions (i.e dependent children living with him).

AnyoneForTennis Thu 25-Jun-15 21:43:42

He could then gain residency of the dc if he had a mind to. Well, it would be a step towards it anyway

No. Don't

Hestheone Thu 25-Jun-15 21:49:51

No way,no how.
If he's looking into ways to cheat the system and get money for nothing,he would never bother to get a job with a good and then give a portion to you

Hestheone Thu 25-Jun-15 21:50:40


Ladygaggia Thu 25-Jun-15 21:59:50

Thank you.
He was always quite controlling - with all "the best intentions" so I still find it hard when he tries to get me to do something.
I don't get any help with housing and my tax credits have just reduced too.

I too think he'll find that he's not got enough money to pay me back.
I told him that I'm not lying about who looks after the kids.
He is going to make me out to be the baddy when he finally gets made homeless <<sigh>>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: