Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

liable for husbands debt?

(6 Posts)
nj32 Wed 24-Jun-15 17:47:42

My husband & I have separated. We have a joint mortgage & joint account though that should be closed in the next month or so. I am unsure if he has changed his address as he is hopeless at these things. If he got into any debt would there be any come back on me? Thanks

StupidBloodyKindle Wed 24-Jun-15 17:54:41

Yes. Shut it down now.

nj32 Wed 24-Jun-15 18:39:44

What about credit cards etc in his name only? Also could he take a loan out on the house without my consent? Thanks

StupidBloodyKindle Wed 24-Jun-15 23:37:12

Not sure...think if his name only, credit card debt is his. But if you are splitting everything including house profit, and the credit card has been used for family/house he might ask for it to be paid off as part of settlement. That was the case in a recent thread. Doubt he could take a loan out using house as collatteral without your signature being required if you are on the deeds/joint owner.

Bumping for you.

StupidBloodyKindle Fri 26-Jun-15 12:13:02

Rebumping...can anyone confirm for the OP?

PurpleWithRed Fri 26-Jun-15 12:18:32

Ask on Wikivorce if you don't get a quick answer here, but if you think he's going to run up debts invest in some time with a solicitor PDQ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now