Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits and child benefits take me over Student Loan threshold.

(7 Posts)
Prawncat Tue 23-Jun-15 12:19:09

Hello, can anyone advise on deferring Student Loan repayments with Erudio? I'm a single mum with a 5yo and 19mo. I'm about to complete my deferment form and thought all would be fine - I earn about £800 a month and get £1000 from my soon-to-be-ex-husband (pays the mortgage with a little bit left). However it seems you have to include tax credits and child benefit which takes me over the repayment threshold. Talk about giving with one hand and taking away with the other.
I am trying to get divorced (slow process) and still have a joint account with exH, which his payments go into - will this help, as in theory he can access that money too? Aaargh this is stressing me out!! Thanks x

morethanpotatoprints Tue 23-Jun-15 12:22:04

I'm sorry but I haven't a clue.
Bumping for you though.

justjuanmorebeer Tue 23-Jun-15 20:10:51

I have never ever heard this. I thought it was only salaried income that was used for the theshold. Who told you that your benefits were included?

scarlets Wed 24-Jun-15 16:22:08

Wow. I've never heard of this. I suppose that income is income though.

I would talk to the government's student loans helpline. www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,3867513&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

electionfatigue Wed 24-Jun-15 19:40:10

It's income so if those are the rules then those are the rules. In the end it's a debt. Would it be worth not claiming CB or tax credits?

RandomMess Wed 24-Jun-15 22:00:25

Nightmare I used to be in the same situation - the childcare element of WFTC took me over the limit!!! I went down to 30 hours per week as it reduced my chidcare costs and therefore the childcare element...

Eventually I did have a new partner and the CB went in to his name - that £12 or so per week meant I didn't have to repay the £70 per month confused

IckyPlush Wed 24-Jun-15 22:07:30

Erudio are awful but you're correct, they count all income, salary and benefits. Martin Lewis on the moneysavingexpert site has a lot of info but basically the old government student loans co could have counted benefits but chose not to and allowed deferment if salary was under the limit. Erudio count every single penny you have coming in, they, as a company, paid the government for the loans so they need to get back as much as possible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now