Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(4 Posts)
sammie46 Sun 21-Jun-15 17:12:51

Can some one help me to work out why if my child signs on while looking for a Job why does a single person community charge go up to full amount that has to be paid because its not money coming in to me its for the child to live on so how is it worked out to do that hope that makes sense

LIZS Mon 22-Jun-15 08:06:24

Assume you mean for Council Tax purposes. If he is claiming JSA presumably he is an adult and no longer in in FTE.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 22-Jun-15 19:13:56

Because they are not a child, they are an adult an need to pay a percentage of CT.

cosytoaster Mon 22-Jun-15 21:52:24

The rules have changed in the last couple of years, since I worked in Council Tax, but you may be able to claim a reduction (up to 25%, so same as the single person discount you had before) based on the fact that your child is on a low income. It's called Second Adult Rebate - your local council should be able to advise and there is also more information here -

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: