Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Husband been sacked

(29 Posts)
missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 00:08:50

My husband has literally just been sacked from work. Im devastated. We have 4 kids aged 17, 12, 6 and 3. I only claim the tax credits and child benefit, other than that the income was from my husbands wage. I feel sick and I cant stop crying. What do we do now? x

Blondie1984 Sun 21-Jun-15 00:10:51

What reason was given for him being sacked? Has he had written warnings previously?

AlpacaMyBags Sun 21-Jun-15 00:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kampeki Sun 21-Jun-15 00:13:59

flowers That's awful, I'm so sorry.

What happened exactly? Was it your DH's fault? Can he appeal? Is it likely to impact on his ability to get another job?

What about you? Could you look for work?

missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 00:36:59

It was my DH fault. He took something home with him by accident and it was a genuine mistake but it was his word against theirs. He's been there for over 2 years and has a perfectly clean record. His workmates enjoyed working with him and he done everything that was asked of him to an excellent standard so we are both in complete shock. :'(

Bearbehind Sun 21-Jun-15 09:21:18

Have you taken advice about possible unfair dismissal?

I can't imagine anything that you could take home by genuine mistake that is worthy of dismissal.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 21-Jun-15 09:27:44

This sounds rather strange OP. If this is the first time he has done something like this then there would be warnings etc and he would be able to go to the union. There aren't many things you can take that could result in instant dismissal after 2 years for the first 'offence'. He definitely needs to fight this.

AlpacaMyBags Sun 21-Jun-15 09:28:38

MadameJulienBaptiste Sun 21-Jun-15 09:31:12

You both look for work and whoever finds a job first goes out to work.

HermioneWeasley Sun 21-Jun-15 09:32:23

Sorry to hear that.

You must both now concentrate on finding work. In any event if he does intend to bring an unfair dismissal claim then he will need to demo he's tried to mitigate his losses by finding other work.

AdventureBe Sun 21-Jun-15 09:40:58

ACAS were fantastic when DH was sacked. It was his fault too, a first offence after a perfect record and company hadn't followed process properly. They settled on 6 months pay in compensation in the end.

It won't help ATM, but what I can say is that that was the best thing that every happened to us. DH now has a job he likes far more. It's amazing how things seem to work out for the best.

RosesAreOverated Sun 21-Jun-15 09:42:52

He is entitled to an extra weeks pay on top of what he has already earned, if he was sacked, make sure he gets it, it's the law.

Really sorry this has happened.

HermioneWeasley Sun 21-Jun-15 10:55:46

roses I'm afraid that's not correct - if someone is dismissed for gross misconduct (as appears has happened here) they are not entitled to any notice pay.

missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 13:39:47

Hi I was in a state last night however when my husband arrived home he told me he's not actually been sacked YET. He has been suspended on full pay until he gets a letter in the post for a meeting. Here is exactly what happened. He works in a hotel on nights and they had been taking checks all evening, my husband puts them in his apron pocket the same as everybody else does. When it came to cashing up at the end of the shift he handed the money over and his colleague counted it and he said it was correct. He left to come home and got the train, he puts his uniform in the washing machine then gets in bed as his routine has been since he's worked there. When he emptied his apron pockets he found 2 £20 notes. He took them back to work with him later on in the day when he had another nightshift. When he got in he was pulled into the office and asked about the money, to which he said yes I have it here and handed it over. He explained what happened but the manager suspended him after accusing him of trying to steal it :'(

DinosaursRoar Sun 21-Jun-15 13:45:23

ok, would the colleague who told him it was right back him up that he also made a mistake? If at that point he was told "no, you're £40 short" he'd have looked in the other pocket for it, so it's not just his mistake IYSWIM.

The other colleague surely will have to explain why they were happy to let your DH walk away without checking the amount handed over was correct.

Sadly, anyone handling money has to be very very careful.

Whie he's been suspended on full pay, I'd be tempted to get him to look for other work, if he can resign having found another job before being fired, all the better.

Preciousbane Sun 21-Jun-15 13:46:03

MrsDeVere Sun 21-Jun-15 13:53:46

Soveryupset Sun 21-Jun-15 13:54:31

I didn't want to read and run, as my DH has also lost his job (although he was made redundant, on only one months' pay's notice), we have four children and I know how stressful it is. It's been over a month now and he still hasn't found anything - every job he goes for (and there aren't that many, he is facing 100+ other people in terms of competition).

Luckily I work full time, but it is taking a bit of a toll on me. It was hard keeping two full time careers before, but now with the added weight of worry and responsibility, I feel like a complete zombie.

We also have additional financial commitments so we need for both of us to work for a while anyway. I wish you and your DH a speedy resolution; I also would ensure you both look, at least if one of you has a job it won't feel quite so stressful..

HermioneWeasley Sun 21-Jun-15 14:28:40

Good news OP. I agree, the fact he was initially told it tallied, and he had it ready to hand over all go in his favour and add credibility to it being a genuine mistake.

Hope it goes well.

missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 14:37:32

no he just went to bed he was shattered :/ in hindsight he should have phoned in :'( so that makes it look worse but he was so tired he just wanted to go to bed.

missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 14:38:18

thank you devere x

missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 14:39:00

soveryupset I really hope things get better for you too soon xxx

missyell Sun 21-Jun-15 14:39:51

I hope so hermoine xx

scarlets Mon 22-Jun-15 10:15:21

He should obtain advice from ACAS before the meeting takes place.

AdventureBe Mon 22-Jun-15 10:24:29

I was explaining exactly this to a colleague last week. I work in a school, so different but in a similar situation.

All cash here is checked and then checked again. It's only small amounts (because most is parentpay) and some staff think it's overkill to ask someone to check it.

I was trying to explain it's not the money itself being wrong that's the issue. School budgets are tight but a missing £20 woudln't finish us. It's the fuss and suspicion that would be the fallout if the banking was wrong by £20. The checking process is vital to protect the employees involved, more than the actual cash.

Does the checker have to sign anything to say they checked? They should!

ACAS will help, especially if process wasn't followed properly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now