Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

holiday!! how much money you think I need!?

(41 Posts)
babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 14:59:18

Taking my 4 children to a seaside resort in July for 2 weeks! House is paid for. Any ideas how much money roughly I'd need to have with me!! Children are ages 8,6,4 and 1. I Was thinking 2 thousand. Is that too much or to little!? Thanks

dementedpixie Sat 20-Jun-15 15:05:26

sounds an awful lot to me.

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jun-15 15:16:37

In which country?

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 15:24:47

N.Ireland! I was hoping to have 2 thousand saved. You think to much? There is 6 of us to but!

ImperialBlether Sat 20-Jun-15 15:36:29

I think it's plenty but if you don't spend all of it, you've still got it, haven't you?! What kinds of things will you be doing?

TheImprobableGirl Sat 20-Jun-15 15:37:53

Is northern Ireland in the euro? Or is it still sterling <ponders><twirls blonde hair>

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 16:08:10

Nah northern Ireland is sterling! Its UK. There's an amusement park and water park. It can be quite expensive

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 20-Jun-15 16:11:49

That sound a good amount. I find I spend more on UK holidays than I do in Greece/Spain etc as I find the children need more entertainment and not content with the pool and beach to cool down. Also eating out is more expensive.

I don't know about you but if Im on holiday the last thing I want to do is cook evening meals.

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 16:21:17

Aww I no!! But I think this time cause were there for 2 weeks I might get tesco to do a food delivery! Might save a bit!

specialsubject Sat 20-Jun-15 16:37:55

you are not seriously taking 2k in cash with you?

they have cash machines and accept credit/debit cards.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 20-Jun-15 17:02:37

I'd assume op meant put to one side as holiday money and not a big envelope full of used notes. grin

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 17:53:59

Nah!!! I've got it in my savings account!! Am not that mad!! Lol maybe 2 thousand is to much!! But there's a build a bear there and I no what that means! Lol

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Sat 20-Jun-15 18:11:55

Sounds okay to me, I always take too much and with it being in the UK if you don't spend it you can just keep it without losing out to exchange rates.

specialsubject Sat 20-Jun-15 18:35:55

phew. smile

would you normally spend £2k entertaining and feeding your family for 2 weeks?????

build-a-bear is easily dealt with, the word is 'no'.

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:51:56

Nah!! But the amusements had up! And water park. And I don't no how to say no!!!

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 20-Jun-15 22:58:37

But it's a holiday. Who wants to not have enough money for treats when on holiday?
Things like day trips, amusements etc all stuff you wouldn't do every day but on holiday it's nice to not worry about money if possible. If it means you don't have enough money for rent/mortgage or other bills them obviously spend less.

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 23:01:35

I no that's what I was thinking. I was just hoping my money I've saved is enough for all that! I do like to spoil my children a bit to!

CountryLovingGirl Sun 21-Jun-15 19:06:55

We budget about £100 a day for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children) and this is wherever we go (abroad or UK). We are members of the National Trust and Scottish/English Heritage so plan a few days there to save money. We also make use of the beach and local free places if at the seaside.
Any lighthouses that are National Trust?
Take a picnic each day or have a chippie lunch. We call into a supermarket and buy bread buns etc.
I would only visit the water park once. Amusements are banned! I only allow my children to go to theme parks where you pay once to get it (and usually that is if tickets are on offer or I can get them in free with Kids Pass).
Ice lollies - Iceland or Aldi (£1 for 4-6). Drinks, water or cans (4) for £1.
Sometimes you underspend and I carry that over to the days left of the hols (I write balance down at the end of each day).

CountryLovingGirl Sun 21-Jun-15 19:08:23

Don't go near 'Build A Bear'...say it is shut! Hee hee.

ginmakesitallok Sun 21-Jun-15 19:09:48

If you're going to portrush make sure you bring plenty of 2ps for Barry's grin

Weebirdie Sun 21-Jun-15 19:10:16

I think thats a good amount to take. You dont have to spend it all but if you do at least you were prepared for it. And like someone upthread said - I always find Uk based holidays more expensive than those abroad spending money wise.

CountryLovingGirl Sun 21-Jun-15 19:12:02

Have to admit, we went to Germany 2 weeks ago and it was cheaper than the UK!

babyalan13 Sun 21-Jun-15 20:56:08

Aye it is portrush!!!!! Lol there's no way I can say build a bear is closed!! Not for 2 weeks!! I definitely can't say no to amusements! They love it!! Ive told them every other day! And water place once a week!so hopefully we have nice weather and go to beach. And maybe the odd bad day were we can't go out!

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 21-Jun-15 21:08:16

Break it down.

Buildabear £150 for three with accessories?

Waterpark £60 entrance, £30 drinks and snacks, £50 food?

Amusements £10 each/ visit or more?

£50/ day misc icecreams, buckets and spades, deck chairs, donkey rides.

Evening meals out £80+

£250/ week food shop (much less if you really plan but as you say its holiday and you want to treat and not spend the holiday going from one shop to another getting best price)

Suddenly the 2k I thought was masses sounds generous but plausible to get through.

TurnOverTheTv Sun 21-Jun-15 21:13:37

I usually budget about £200 a day for six of us. I don't want to scrimp on holiday, what's the point? Evening meal out can easily be £80 with drinks, plus lunch/snacks treats/etc. it easily gets spent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now