Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Moving out with a partner and baby on tax credits and housing benefit

(5 Posts)
Zoemum13 Fri 19-Jun-15 23:05:34

Me and my babies father have been living separately with our own parents and I have my daughter living me me so classed as a single mum, as I have nothing to do with what he does money or otherwise. Recently we have become close again and decided to move out together. We have a place lined up to move In on the 1st July. I have worked out because he is working self employed on a low regular Salary we are entitled to child tax credits and working tax credits an also housing benefit.

I'm on child tax credits now as an individual but how long does it take to make a new joint claim? Can it just be updated and the next weekly payment be there or is there a waiting period? I'm worried I won't be able to afore bill if this stops for so many weeks while waiting???!!!

And how does housing benefit work? My rent is due on the 1st of every month so when will my housing benefit be ready and when will it be paid?

justjuanmorebeer Sat 20-Jun-15 14:21:24

I'd double check the working tax credits. I think both parents need to be in work to get that. Are you working and if so how many hours? How many hours does he do. Housing benefit gets worked out once you have the other things. It takes about 8 weeks to come through for a new claim.

justjuanmorebeer Sat 20-Jun-15 14:22:20

Have you filled in the online calculator entitledto with his income and hours?

Babyroobs Sat 20-Jun-15 14:22:33

No, there is usually at least few weeks delay in it being sorted, although it would be backdated, so you should prepare for being without tax credits for a few weeks , especially at this time of year when everyone is renewing and they are very busy.

babyalan13 Sat 20-Jun-15 16:14:08

I made a joint claim last April as I was single with 4 children but we got married. Unfortunately with us they did stop tax credits altogether which I didn't realize until I phoned! It stopped for about 5 weeks. But they did back date it all. Which was good. But it was a hard 5 weeks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now