Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Entitlement if I resign

(10 Posts)
Sjrocks81 Tue 16-Jun-15 05:30:03

Good morning, I have a huge dilemma. I am currently working 25hrs a week claiming on working and child tax credits. My income is £14k pa. due to rent increase and ex partner decreasing my maintenance due to a job change I am struggling with childcare costs. Working vs benefits is currently £34 a week difference. However I am very concerned about school holidays - my costs are going to be £370 a week for the 6 weeks. I am aware that I will be able to get 70% of the childcare however my childcare wants this paid upfront.

I am considering resigning and returning to benefits but would I be entitled to income support and housing benefit if I were to resign?

Thanks in advance

Aridane Tue 16-Jun-15 07:55:30

I don't think you will- at least not for a very long period. But others who actually know about this will come along shortly with chapter and verse...

Sjrocks81 Tue 16-Jun-15 08:12:42

Thank you yes all very confusing never claimed before I'm only working off the entitlement website.

bloodyteenagers Tue 16-Jun-15 08:36:50

Nothing for at least 26 weeks.
I have looked into myself because yup would be better financially not working

warmsoup Tue 16-Jun-15 08:41:41

You'd be able to claim IS and HB straight away as long as you meet the criteria (sounds like you are a single parent but your youngest child must be under 5, and you can't have savings over £16k). JSA has a 26 week waiting period if you voluntarily resign but it doesn't apply to IS. If your youngest child is school age already then you'd have to claim JSA not IS and then you'd have the 26 week wait (and also have to sign on).

Rockchick1984 Tue 16-Jun-15 10:07:53

On your income now you should be eligible for some housing benefit, are you already claiming this? How old are your children?

lampshady Tue 16-Jun-15 11:56:51

I know of something an acquaintance did to get around this...

She declared herself self employed as a cleaner, then two weeks in said she was unable to continue due to a pre existing injury and signed on instead. Because of the tax credits roll on she only ended up losing a months wages and was able to claim straight away.

Not sure of the legal implications so I nodded and smiled when she told me.

Babyroobs Tue 16-Jun-15 13:35:57

It depends how old your kids are. if your youngest is under 5 then you will be eligible for Income support. if they are over 5 you would have to go onto job seekers and they could sanction you if you ahve voluntarily given up a job, although I think they do look at your reasons for leaving.

Sjrocks81 Wed 17-Jun-15 06:29:46

Thanks all! I have a 9 and a 4 year old (5 in jan)interesting about the housing benefit I will look into that.

Ok so assume then housing benefit and income support and tax credits would stay the same (minus the childcare element?)


Babyroobs Thu 18-Jun-15 20:11:48

You would only get Income support for a few months and then would have to switch to Job seekers and look for another job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: