Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Possible Tax Credits underpayment, is there a time limit for claiming?

(3 Posts)
charliewolf Sun 14-Jun-15 21:08:59

I started my own business in 2012 and have since had an ongoing Tax Credits award. My business has made a loss each year and on completing the TC application form it says in such a case to put down £0 for income, which I did. What isn't made clear, and what I have since discovered is that the actual loss made can be deducted from other income of self and partner, meaning that I would have received a higher award. Can I ask them to reconsider and backdate any underpayment to or is there a time limit, does anyone know?

charliewolf Mon 15-Jun-15 10:52:16

Bumping

callmewhatever Mon 15-Jun-15 13:29:24

You can call them to advise them that you would like to make an amendment to a previous tax year. However it is very rare for HMRC to award any money for an underpayment that falls in a previous tax year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now