Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Son in financial mess

(12 Posts)
sueregional Sat 13-Jun-15 16:06:15

Hi...not done this before so here goes ! My son has gone to Australia and at first had employment but since leaving we have been having bills coming in that have not been paid but our biggest worry is his mobile phone bill. It went into default and I paid it, but EE just re-instate it, then it goes into default again and on it goes. I have tried to cancel but they say I need to pay for another 12 months because it was not cancelled during the previous 12 months. I obviously have no access to his account ,but I do know he is not using it , in fact I think he has sold his phone !
My son is not communicating with us at all, which is hurtful , but I am at a loss as to what to do ?
I know my son is now, not working and has been without employment for 6 months, but still in Australia ,so someone must be supporting him financially.
He is no child,he is 24yr old although he is acting in a childish manner, but I would be interested to hear if other parents have experienced this and how they dealt with it ?Many thanks

fiftyandfat Sat 13-Jun-15 16:12:53

Do you have an address for him?
If so I think you just send everything back to the sender with "no longer at this address" written on it. Don't pay any more of his bills.

I am sorry - this must be a very sad situation for you.

fiftyandfat Sat 13-Jun-15 16:14:15

Sorry - that didn't make sense.
You can return to sender whether you have his current address or not.
If you have his address you could forward stuff, or give EE his current address.

fiftyandfat Sat 13-Jun-15 16:15:26

You are not responsible for his phone account - it isn't in your name and EE have no business asking you to pay it.

AlpacaMyBags Sat 13-Jun-15 16:17:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sueregional Sat 13-Jun-15 17:25:48

Gosh thank you for replying guys, I really do appreciate it.
Why am I paying it....cos I am a fool and know how these debts mount up, so trying to stem the stream before it becomes a flood, BUT by doing so may be creating more problems.Don't know .
We have actually moved address ,so post is being redirected so can honestly say "no longer at this address ",which I will do.
We have no forwarding address for my son,he has completely cut us off ,guess he is ashamed as he got into debt before but paid it all off.
Leopard and spots spring to mind.

NickyEds Mon 15-Jun-15 14:24:17

Stop paying and return post to sender. I really can't see what else you could do op, you can't just keep paying. It must be incredibly hard for you but your son is behaving like a child. Are you having the post forwarded by the post office? If you are then surely when your redirection period runs out the people who bought your old house will start getting all of his post and they'll have to deal with it?? Better that you tell EE surely?

Quasicrystals1456 Mon 15-Jun-15 16:16:13

Agree with others. Harsh as it sounds you're 'enabling' him to continue being childish by paying his debts.

Like giving a drunk a drink. sad

Julieb85 Wed 17-Jun-15 13:37:41

My parents had the same issue with my brother. Firstly you need to let EE know he is longer at the address you don't have to give them a forwarding address - so state it as not known. As debt are often attached to addresses it may affect your chances of getting credit . My mum had debt collector at her door demanding money on several occassion which isnt pleasant, so you need to try avoid this! Once you do that the account will go into default which could give you and your son some time to work out the next steps.

NickyEds Wed 17-Jun-15 13:50:08

It will not effect your credit unless you take on the account (which they won't even let you). Debts are only "attached" to an address in as much that as long as the creditor thinks the debtor is living there they'll chase them there. Otherwise every one of the millions of people living in rented houses would be stuffed! They will however send debt collectors round eventually unless you explain that your son no longer lives there.

sueregional Wed 17-Jun-15 19:38:53

Hi guys,thank you for responding .I have taken great comfort from your replies and I will just let things happen ! We are no longer at the address and I do feel EE could be more helpful but will load the debt with 400 pounds as an early termination fee which seems unfair as written notice was issued to cancel it,but they won't see reason.So that is it.xx

specialsubject Wed 17-Jun-15 19:58:54

BTW when he comes back he won't be eligible for any benefits for at least 3 months. So it will be interesting to find out what he proposes to live on.

be warned...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: