Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Home insurance - discuss

(13 Posts)
Millionairerow Fri 12-Jun-15 22:14:31

How can it go from 43 pounds to 57 pounds in 1 year with Nationwide! Any tips on reasonable home insurance. Need it because WFH full time and condition of employment.
M

mousmous Fri 12-Jun-15 22:18:05

get other quotes.
sounds cheap though.

reallybadidea Fri 12-Jun-15 22:20:45

You usually get a discount in the first year of an insurance policy. I change companies most years after getting quotes from gocompare or similar.

Julieb85 Wed 17-Jun-15 13:39:18

Has the value of your house increased perhaps. Check moneysupermarket - its easy for this stuff!

Mrscog Wed 17-Jun-15 14:27:44

That sounds super cheap (unless that's a monthly cost in which case it's £££), but just shop around, you can probably save money by switching.

whooshbangprettycolours Wed 17-Jun-15 19:39:23

I assume you mean per month. As a PP said the first year is the 'discounted' hook to get you to buy. Move to a new provider

specialsubject Wed 17-Jun-15 19:56:57

you need to change insurers every year. Loyalty is for suckers now.

whooshbangprettycolours Thu 18-Jun-15 09:13:12

Yep special has it. A shame, but that is def the case.

18yearsoftrying Thu 18-Jun-15 22:05:54

I asked my motor insurance company why my premium had increased whilst I hadn't made a claim.

I was told it was be ause there had been an increase of claims in my area that I was deemed to be a slightly higher risk now.

TalkinPeace Thu 18-Jun-15 22:31:08

go online incognito browser, apply for insurance with your company as a new customer
print out the lower quote (it will be)
phone them and make them match it

HelenF350 Thu 18-Jun-15 22:52:07

In my experience Nationwide are expensive. Do a compare the market then check quidco or toocashback for extra savings.

ChishandFips33 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:08:55

We went with Nationwide for years as we didn't bother shopping around
We moved house (bigger) shopped round and found N/W almost £350 per yr more expensive for the 2 bedroomed house we were in - fuming with myself for weeks!!

Now with M&S

blueteapot Mon 22-Jun-15 08:18:07

We were 40+ a month with nationwide too. Do a comparison. Now 16 a month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now