Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Financial anonymity.

(7 Posts)
MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 12-Jun-15 16:28:54

How would someone go about making an anonymous donation to a small local charity? Is a bag full of used fivers the only way? Or is there some other way I haven't thought of?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 13-Jun-15 19:21:17

Anyone?

Rockchick1984 Sat 13-Jun-15 19:35:58

Postal order? Bankers draft and ask the bank to keep it anonymous? Do you have any way to access their account details (paying in slip or something) and pay cash into their account?

addictedtosugar Sat 13-Jun-15 19:42:18

If you've got their bank account details, you can pay in directly.
Otherwise, cash.

PausingFlatly Sat 13-Jun-15 19:44:36

It's possible a counter cheque issued to you by a bank would achieve this - then the bank would know you'd asked for such a cheque obviously, but the charity I think wouldn't.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 13-Jun-15 22:39:13

It's a someone who has asked a third party how to make a donation to a charity I'm involved with. I don't know how much it will be, so don't know if PO is feasible. Is there an upper limit?

Would an electronic bank transfer show the source account name on our statement?

hoobypickypicky Sat 13-Jun-15 23:01:19

In my experience, when I send money from my current account into my daughter's using telephone banking, I am asked to give the sum a name. Generally I get the assistant asking, "Will she know who it's from or do you want to give it a title?", resulting in me saying something like "Oh, can you put 'flowers' please", so she'll know it's for the flowers she ordered on my behalf".

Sure enough her statement shows TFR Flowers £50 (TFR = transfer). If I didn't give the transfer a name it would simply show her account number plus the sum.

This suggests to me that your benefactor could either just leave the details showing nothing but his/her account number or, if they feared being recognised by that, could opt for a description, e.g. "Church roof", or "donation".

If I make a transferal into DD's account online it will show up as the sum plus my account number so if your benefactor wants to avoid that, a call to his/her bank is the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now