Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Council tax exemption

(3 Posts)
BusyCee Fri 12-Jun-15 11:08:19

We moved out of our house in early January for relatively minor building works, forecast to take 4-6 wks. Builders stitched us up royally and the house was uninhabitable until the last weekend of May, when we moved back in.

Applied for a council tax exemption as the property was uninhabitable. Had an inspection early this week. Have just had a letter saying we don't qualify because there weren't major structural works.

I thought that if the house was uninhabited - regardless of why - we were entitled to a discount/rebate? Does anyone know any more? The council website doesn't give details and their call handler just said they are governed by guidelines which we don't meet.

Any insight would be gratefully rcvd.

justjuanmorebeer Fri 12-Jun-15 15:25:47

From what I have heard the law changed in 2012 regarding empty properties. As far as I know there is no longer any discount apart from a single persons discount which is just 25%
My dp is in the process of buying a house to complete this week. He was also hoping for the exemption during the next few months when work is going on and before he moves in. No such luck though sad

BusyCee Fri 12-Jun-15 15:37:33

Well that's another dollop of poo to add to the pile I've accumulated this year. Thanks for the heads up though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now