Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will I be entitled to anything?

(9 Posts)
Glitterball86 Fri 12-Jun-15 06:32:19


Am due my first baby on 22 September this year (yay) and am starting my maternity leave with effect from beginning of August.

I am about to move house (where I live at present isn't practical with a newborn and the Council have placed me on the lowest band for a council place so have had to go private) however , my employer only pays SMP

Will I be entitled or eligible for any benefits as currently work 40 hours a week and am obviously concerned about paying my bills once my money drops to less than half of what it is per month :/

Many thanks in advance smile

SmileItsSunny Fri 12-Jun-15 07:14:32

it is a worry isn't it?
I'm sorry I don't know the answer, it probably depends on your normal salary?
bumping for you.

SmileItsSunny Fri 12-Jun-15 07:15:05

oh and many congratulations! smile smile

MrsHenryMountbattenWindsor Fri 12-Jun-15 07:17:57

Check this out OP

GlitterTwinkleToes Fri 12-Jun-15 07:20:48

Don't take this as gospel but I believe you would be entitled to child.benefit, child tax credits and possible working tax as well? If not.working tax and your a single.claimant it could be income support. Housing benefit and council tax reduction am not too sure on, you may receive part payment or possible full?

Congratulations smile

Glitterball86 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:00:26

Ah thank you that's a big help, when should I start enquiring?

Thank you for the congratulations also smile it still hasn't sunk in it's really Happening as yet :/ lol

justjuanmorebeer Fri 12-Jun-15 13:38:55

It depends on your circumstances. Are you single? Do you live with anyone else or will the tenancy be in your name only? I suggest you move house ASAP when still working full time as you will find it tricky to find a rental once you are on your lower income.
What is your salary? Depending on how much you earn you may get some housing benefit towards your rent but you will need to sort out tax credits first really as they use that income to calculate.

Glitterball86 Fri 12-Jun-15 15:24:57

It will just be my name on tenancy I am single and I am moving on 3 rd July , have sent of for tax credits application form today to start getting the ball rolling and didn't know they used this towards your income so thanks for that useful bit of information smile

AndNowItsSeven Sat 13-Jun-15 00:42:50

Once baby is born and you start to receive CTC apply for the sure start maternity grant ( £500) before your baby is three months old.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: