Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(3 Posts)
crazymama1 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:18:55

I am currently renting a local authority property, I pay full rent and council tax and have done so from the beginning of my tenancy (5 years). I am a single parent and work full time (37.5 hours) I do get some child tax credits.

My dilemma is that my daughter has started to get very emotional about not being able to take her to school/pick her up and just generally spend some extra time with her (other than at weekends when we need to see/do other people/tings etc)

I am considering reducing my working hours to either 30 or 22 (so work 4 days or 3 days per week) so can be there for her the extra day/2 days, I was hoping to do this as a temporary measure maybe 3 months to start off with, just until my daughter settles a bit at school (she has counselling already for other issues!)

I can�t help but feel guilty about not being there for her, but then I justify to her that if I didn�t work then she can�t have nice things she likes (she has expensive taste, my fault!)

My question is this (and please don�t judge me, I don�t want to live of the state, I am just after some advice on something I may or may not follow through with!) � would I be entitled to housing/council tax benefit if I did reduce my hours?

I know tax credits might go up to make up the reduced monthly income, but won�t that be the following year?

I have tried the entitled to website, not sure If I am doing it wrong but the outcomes is that I would get nothing.

I might just have to do it and see how we get on for my child�s emotional wellbeing!
Thank you in advance

Woodenheart Wed 10-Jun-15 22:58:49

The entitled to website should help, it may be showing entitlement from your full time wage, as I think tax credits are worked out from last years earnings.

Maybe phone & ask, & give them the figure of what you would earn if you worked 22 hours, Im sure they will help you.

LD29 Wed 10-Jun-15 23:38:56

For tax credits, if your earnings change in current financial year you still inform them and they work out a new payment. Do it a week after your hours change. I left it 6 months after reducing my hours, but they only took 30 days into account. I've no clue about other benefits though- local citizens advice should know. Some personal advice- I worked full time with 4 kids under 9 till last year. Ended up with breakdown and depression. I've since reduced my hours, have less money, but much much happier smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: