Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Hiya all u mummies really need a advise on money and bennifits

(13 Posts)
summer27 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:28:03

Hiya I am 29 and expecting my first child I'm 5 ,months along. Pregnancy was not planned but blessing just at the wrong time I will be raising my little one on my own. OK where to start I am living with my parents and need to move out before baby comes along problem is I honestly can't afford to I have always worked full time but few weeks ago I had to cut down to part time due to being exhausted job is not that great pay but is hard going at the best of times without being pregnant and tired. finding it difficult to live on my part time wage and really can't afford to get much in for baby although I am trying to make sure every penny goes to baby stuff. I only have four months to find a place and get everything prepared for her who do I talk to about bennifits and housing googled online but not getting anywhere with search results . never been on benefits or had to get help before so all new to me please no nasty or silly comments and thank you for your advise in advance xx

Julieb85 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:33:02

These things have a habit of working out - so try not to stress, won't help you or the baby. Firstly do you have th option to stay at your parents when the baby first arrives? It's a lot to deal with all at once! In terms of benefits there's a great income support calculator that'll help work out what you are eligible for. It also talks through how to claim through your local job centre...x

summer27 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:35:40

Hiya julieb85 thank you . trying not to stress but hard not to . unfortunately will have to leave before baby comes x

Julieb85 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:38:13

I don't know how this all works but I'd start with a visit to your local job centre. I'm pretty sure there are ways to get the most from the system. I.e. I've heard of people claim to be homeless and get housing support, but as I say I think it's all down to where you live, how you lay out your case etc x

Geneticsbunny Tue 09-Jun-15 18:41:11

Citizens advice bureau should be able to tell you what benefits you can apply for. Unless you are self employed then if you are having to work less because you are pregnant then you should be taking it as sick leave and still being paid full time hours.

lagirafe Tue 09-Jun-15 18:43:35

Private renting will probably be your best option with regard to housing as I doubt you would be a priority with the council and social housing could take a long time to arrive. This does depend largely on where you are though.

Once the baby is born you will be entitled to child benefit (£20 ish/week) and child tax credits (£65 ish/week).

Then depending on your hours / income you may get working tax credit (if you work 16+ hours right up to mat leave), housing benefit and council tax support.

You should also be eligible for the Sure start maternity grant of £500 to buy equipment for the baby.

Is there any reason you can't stay with your parents until after the baby is born? You might struggle to find a private let if you're only working part time due to the affordability checks etc.

RandomMess Tue 09-Jun-15 18:47:49

If your parents don't want you there anymore ask them to evict you?

Speak to shelter and your local housing officer to find out if there is any assistance with loaning a deposit amount etc.

textfan Tue 09-Jun-15 18:48:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PingPongBat Tue 09-Jun-15 20:53:03

To add to textfan's excellent advice - if you have no choice but to move out, then you may be able to make a homeless application to the local council. If you decide to try this, then you need to make sure you are not leaving your parent's house voluntarily, as you would be making yourself intentionally homeless and the council would not have to find you anywhere to live. You would have to convince them that your parents are not allowing you to stay there any more.

KateSpade Wed 10-Jun-15 14:36:54

Firstly congrats on the baby!

I had DD when I was at Uni - so only student income. We still live with my parents, but we both like it their!

Like the previous poster said apply for the grant, I got most of DD's things either second hand passed on or from a nearly new baby sale. & tbh, they were/are totally fine! So start asking round & looking. Try EBay aswell, but be careful of quality/ect if your looking online.

Book an appointment for the CAB & they should tell you about all the benefits you are entitled too & go from their!

I'd stay at the job, until you can go on Maternity leave & then decide whilst your off about going back/hours ect.

Good luck OP!

Babyroobs Wed 10-Jun-15 17:17:31

The amount of tax credits you get once the baby is born will depend on your income, as will your eligibility to the sure start grant.

summer27 Thu 11-Jun-15 02:06:49

Hiya everyone thank you all so much for advice no dads not evening in picture at all and well is a waste off space to be honest. Spoke with my parents and they have said I can stay until I find some where . amazing parents although house is very small and not got the space for me never mind my little bundle off joy and not finacially able to help .
going to call and arrange appointments with council and job centre. in the mean time call citizens advice thank you all again and to previous comment I do have friends and family that are giving me a lot off the big items for baby which takes a big wait off my mind xx

hoarseoldfrog Thu 11-Jun-15 04:20:15

Are you planning on taking maternity leave from work? Is your employer offering you a package? If not, you should be entitled to statutory maternity pay which is £138 a week or 90 per cent of your wages for up to 39 weeks.

If you're not going back to work when baby arrives - you may be entitled to maternity allowance. Can't remember details but full info on gov.UK website

If you're not able to get them, you can claim income support as a single parent. from 29th week of pregnancy if you have no other income.

Your housing options will completely depend on where you are in the country. Eg London so much pressure/long waiting lists but I've heard other areas aren't too bad. You can apply to go on your local council's housing list. Do that now cos it's lots of paperwork! You will need to provide copy of yellow book to be considered for 2 bed.

They will only class you as homeless and entitled to emergency help if your parents gave evidence that you can't stay anymore. A lot will do anything to get out of helping as they are under so much pressure to house so many.
If you can stay with parents til your finances are sorted, do. The support will be great because it's hard work with a new born at first!
Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: