Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it possible to pay cash into a UK bank while abroad?

(12 Posts)
anidiotabroad Mon 08-Jun-15 23:39:05

DSS 20 is going abroad to work. He has no time to set up a new bank account before he goes as hasn't thought ahead despite us pushing him to sort things out for months .
There are no branches of his bank or affiliated banks where he is going. He has now just informed us that he will be paid cash in local currency. I have 24 hours to work out how he can keep this money safe and still use it while away. He will have access to a shared hmm safe with other workers.

There is a Barclays bank where he will be staying but he does not have an account with them. Don't know if this is useful?

Any suggestions?

mmmminx Mon 08-Jun-15 23:46:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anidiotabroad Mon 08-Jun-15 23:55:25

Thanks mmmminx.
It's Cyprus and I have little confidence in his future employer doing this or in him even having a work permit but here's hoping.
I had NO idea so little had been organised until today and after tomorrow I won't see him again before he goes. His DM knows more about his work situation but not much I think.

mmmminx Tue 09-Jun-15 00:03:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anidiotabroad Tue 09-Jun-15 00:06:17

Thanks, I'm off to Google how he can send money home smile

Graciescotland Tue 09-Jun-15 00:12:11

It might be worth him buying travellers cheques, cheaper than sending money home and they're insured if they vanish.

anidiotabroad Tue 09-Jun-15 00:26:15

That's a good idea too Gracie. I'll suggest that to him.

CarriesBucketOfBlood Tue 09-Jun-15 00:52:22

Cyprus is in the EU, so I don't think your son will need a specific work permit.

It should be very easy to set up an account abroad. He will probably just need his passport, an address and the minimum amount of cash.

titchy Tue 09-Jun-15 08:21:07

Not sure why he'd be sending money home - he's a 20 year old in the Med - what doesn't get spent on rent and food will get spent on alcohol surely! grin

Why can't he just wander along to the nearest bank with his passport and wages and open a euro account there - be far cheaper than using his sterling account so not sure why he'd want to do that in the first place.

specialsubject Tue 09-Jun-15 10:30:38

he's stuffed, so leave him to get it right or wrong. DON'T bail him out if he drinks all his income (seen it done); let him learn. Remember when he comes back broke at season end he won't be entitled to benefits either.

YOU do not have 24 hours to sort out his account. He can do it when he arrives.

do get him to check his insurance situation, and remind him that he has no cover if pissed. That is one way that he can bankrupt you, so he needs to sort that out.

iwantgin Tue 09-Jun-15 10:41:32

If it is a summer season rep/pr/bar type job, then I doubt he will get paid enough to worry about saving any money. It'll probably all get spent on his rent and social life.

He could probably send it by Fed Ex or similar if there was enough money to bother saving. he could send toyou, then you deposit in a bank.

anidiotabroad Tue 09-Jun-15 14:23:39

Thanks all. Yes I know he should have sorted everything out but he hadn't and he's our boy so we need to watch out for him as far as possible. He will probably spend faster than he earns but I need to give him the opportunity to be sensible hmm and keep himself and his wages safe. I will pass on all the advice and let him get on with it. All we are keeping aside for him is his fare home...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now