Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

JSA and maternity allowance

(3 Posts)
StrawberryCheese Thu 04-Jun-15 15:40:48

I'm currently claiming JSA after being made redundant at 13 weeks pregnant. I've been claiming for 2 months. I was told by an advisor at the job centre that once I reach 29 weeks I have to stop claiming JSA and start claiming income support. From what I can work out online I am not eligible for income support. I can claim maternity allowance from 29 weeks but it just seems a really early point to be doing that. Not many employed people would start maternity leave as early as 29 weeks for example. Does anyone know if I have to start claiming maternity allowance that early or can I drop off the system for a few weeks and claim it closer to my due date? I have a different advisor at the job centre now who is next to useless and wouldn't know the answer if I ask.

annielostit Thu 04-Jun-15 16:15:41

www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Try here

PeppermintInfusion Thu 04-Jun-15 19:18:40

You can claim it from 29 weeks for up to 9 months, it's more than JSA as MA is around 130 a week so it might make more sense to claim it now rather than go several weeks with no/less benefits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now