Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits stopped, no explanation

(30 Posts)
Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 18:03:43

I get paid on a Tuesday, and since I had to leave my job we rely on the money. I didn't get paid. Called the helpline, got through after 3 hours, to be told it was because my renewal pack was on the way. I queried that, as my money has never stopped before. I was put on hold, then told they could see what the problem was and would put me through to the right department. They then hung up angry

I've been trying since then to get through again. I either get "we're very busy right now please call back" or go on hold (longest has been 1.5 hours before I gave up)

The advisor did say my renewal pack had been sent on 18th of this month, should it be here by now?

Electrolux Wed 27-May-15 18:06:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 18:14:29

No, last payment was definitely the 19th. That was the first thing he asked sad

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 19:26:36

bump

Rainicorn Wed 27-May-15 19:40:47

My friend's tax credits stopped without notice as well.

When she (eventually) got through, she was told that it was correct as combined her and her DH had earned over the threshold.mthey had gone to their employers directly to get the figures.

Any chance yours and your partners earnings went over the threshold for them?

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 19:42:49

I doubt it, he's only on £20,000. As far as I know that's nowhere near the threshold is it?

Rainicorn Wed 27-May-15 19:45:08

Did you earn anything last financial year though? Because that would count as well.

Rainicorn Wed 27-May-15 19:45:27

That includes any taxable benefits like JSA.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 19:48:41

I've just looked it up, if they go on last years figures we're just over. Will the renewal take into account that I'm no longer earning?

Ohmymg Wed 27-May-15 19:50:40

Your income will have been given to tax credits via Taxes system, explaining why they've stopped.

You can aboslutly call them with an estimated current year income though

queencori Wed 27-May-15 19:50:44

What is the threshold?

Ohmymg Wed 27-May-15 19:57:51

This shows how awards are tapered, rules differ depending on whether it's also a child tax credit claim or not

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 19:59:58

You can aboslutly call them with an estimated current year income though

Would help if I could get through. Plus I have already told them that this years income would be different. Its a stupid system if they let it be overridden like that

queencori the thresholds are different depending on your circumstances. For us, its £35,000 (2 DC)

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 20:01:36

This is the table I used www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-credits-entitlement-table-working-at-least-16-hours-and-no-childcare/tax-credits-entitlement-table-working-at-least-16-hours-and-no-childcare

Ohmymg Wed 27-May-15 20:04:54

Have you updated your income since 6th April? They will also disregard the first 2.5k of any income reduction.

If you have updated it in the new tax year and it is more than 2.5k difference then yes, the RTI info may well have overridden your previous estimate.

Call queues today were approx 32 mins maximum- not great I admit

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 20:15:18

I couldn't even get through, just kept saying "we're very busy please call back" and hanging up. The one time I did get through, I stayed listening to that music for 90 mins before I had to give up and return to being a mum

Yes, I updated 3rd week of April. Got a payment shortly after, then regular payments went up. Got paperwork to say payment as it stands would be from 21st of April until further notice

Its really, really bad timing sad

Ohmymg Wed 27-May-15 20:21:17

It's unbelievably busy every single day now but it always is especially busy after a bank holiday. Early morning is best, literally try at 8am- you will still have to wait though. I know it's crap. RTI info works in 90% of cases, sadly it sounds like yours is one of the 10% where it's over ridden a recently updated current year income

Imnotaslimjim Wed 27-May-15 21:26:31

Thanks for the info, can I assume you're an advisor? I'll get on the phone at 8am and hope for the best. Will they let me do my renewal? They said my form was posted on 18th but it isn't here yet

Ohmymg Wed 27-May-15 22:24:31

Kind of an advisor, I'm trained in tax credits and based in a centre where calls are taken.

'technically' you must have seen your renewal form in order to renew, if I were you id check the RTI info against both P60's and you will only be able to do that when you've received form. the current year income is def a priority for you- if you have no luck tomorrow the wait time on Saturday is likely to be ever so slightly lower.

I hope you get it sorted quickly

Imnotaslimjim Thu 28-May-15 08:16:44

Thanks. I've had the "we're very busy" 4 times so far. Getting very frustrated. I'm out the house from 8am tomorrow and not back til late so won't have time to call tomorrow

Imnotaslimjim Thu 28-May-15 08:20:41

I've just reread your post, I haven't got DH P60 yet, I'll have to chase him for it. Grrrrr

Ohmymg Thu 28-May-15 08:53:41

Even his March payslip with year to date info should match, renewals can take about 2 weeks to reach you from date of issue also. Remember Saturday too- it is usually quieter

Imnotaslimjim Thu 28-May-15 09:22:33

I don't have that either, he gets them electronically so I never see them. I'll get in touch and see if he can email me it

Thanks so much for taking the time with me, its really helped. I'm still cross thats its happened and I've ended up with no money the one week I really need it, but at least I know it can be fixed

Ohmymg Thu 28-May-15 10:13:10

You're welcome, sorry I can't help more. The previous year income can't be reported til u have renewal anyway so at least u have time to gather stuff. If u need anymore advice feel free to pm

Imnotaslimjim Thu 28-May-15 10:15:05

Don't worry, you've been great. Given me much more info than I've managed to get on the phone. I still haven't got through, but I've stopped trying now while I gather the figures. He's just called to say he'll send his payslip over

Do you know, if I do my renewal online, will this just correct itself? Or do I need to carry on the fight to get through on the phone? Also, how long does it take for payments to restart?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now