Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Moving to another NHS Trust while pregnant, what maternity pay will I be entitled to?

(5 Posts)
hannahbanananana Tue 26-May-15 10:32:00

Hi all,

I am very confused and could do with a bit of help!

I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and due to start a new job with another NHS Trust in July by which time I will be 11 weeks pregnant. I'll give you a bit of background...

I started working in the NHS in August 2014 (will have 11 months continuous service by the time I start my new job). It will work out that I have 15 months continuous service by the 11th week before expected childbirth which means I quality for Occupational Maternity Pay. I'm currently working part-time and earning just under 10k. In my new job, I will be working full-time and earning over 21k, so I can't really afford to stay where I am, especially with a baby on the way. I assumed I would be entitled to all of the maternity pay having worked for another NHS Trust, but I'm just discovered I am not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay as I won't have been with that employer for 26 weeks at the 15th week before expected childbirth, but I will qualify for Maternity Allowance (I think). Will I get both Occupational Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance or just the Maternity Allowance? Very confused. This is what is detailed in the policy...

*Occupational Maternity Pay*
Qualifying Criteria
• have at least 12 months continuous service with the NHS at the beginning of the 11th week before the expected week of childbirth
• have notified the Trust that they are pregnant before the end of the 15th week before the expected date of childbirth, or as or as soon as is reasonably practical if this is not possible
• intends to return to work in the NHS for at least 3 months after the maternity leave has ended
Pay received
• the first 8 weeks at full pay (less any SMP or other allowances receivable, if applicable)
• followed by 18 weeks at half pay

Statutory Maternity Pay
Qualifying Criteria
• have been employed by the Trust continuously for at least 26 weeks at the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth
• earn, on average an amount which at least equals the lower earnings limit (the amount they have to earn before they are treated as paying National Insurance Contributions)
Pay received
• the first 6 weeks at 90% of the employees average weekly earnings
• followed by 33 weeks at standard rate SMP or 90% of the employees average weekly earnings, whichever is lower

Contractual Maternity Pay
Qualifying Criteria
• have qualified for both Occupational and Statutory Maternity Pay
Pay received
• the first 8 weeks at full pay (inclusive of SMP or less other allowances receivable, if applicable)
• followed by 18 weeks at half pay plus SMP
• followed by 13 weeks at SMP only

Maternity Allowance
Qualifying Criteria
• have NOT qualified for Statutory Maternity Pay
Pay received
• maximum of 39 weeks at standard rate MA or 90% of the employees average weekly earnings, whichever is lower

addictedtosugar Tue 26-May-15 10:51:49

Whats the difference between Occ MP and Contractual MP? They will both result in the same amout of ���

The difference between SMP and Maternity allowance in in the first 6 weeks: SMP is at 90% of normal earnings, and the following 33 weeks at max �135/week.

Occ pay suggests working with the NHS for long enough will get you first 8 weeks at full pay, then 18 weeks at half pay. Don't see why you wouldn't then get Maternity allowance for the remaining 13 weeks (which at that stage is the same as SMP!).

BUT I don't work in an area where trusts etc opperate, so you'd need to check. My reading of your clauses is as above.

Twodogsandahooch Wed 27-May-15 22:37:17

I moved trusts when I was 14 weeks pregnant in 2010 - I had 9 years continuous service at this point

I received OMP ( paid via my new trust payroll) but had to claim maternity allowance instead of receiving SMP. It was relative straightforward to arrange - I think I had to get HR at my new trust to sign a form saying that I wasn't eligible for SMP and took this to the job centre.

Twodogsandahooch Wed 27-May-15 22:39:05

I'm not sure I've answered your question but I would assume that you would get both.

blueteapot Thu 04-Jun-15 07:14:30

Same here as twodogs, moved at 8 weeks pg. Hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now