Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Trying to write a strongly worded letter...

(7 Posts)
HexBramble Sun 17-May-15 07:49:49

I'm trying to write a strongly worded letter of complaint to a nationwide garage that's charged me huge prices for a job that didn't sort out the problem. Here's a link to the saga if you're interested.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2379119-Have-been-proper-ripped-off-by-a-Nationwide-garage-AIBU-to-complain?msgid=54410140#54410140

Everything sounds far too 'nice' in my head and I think it's my pleasant and friendly disposition which has got me royally ripped off, I think. I want my letter to mean business and I'm just not able to do it.

I don't care if it's just a few short sentences, or a few suggestions, I'll take all the advice I can get. Please!

Thanks.

HexBramble Sun 17-May-15 18:28:59

Bump

MsRaspberryJam Sun 17-May-15 18:33:57

Don't write a letter that will get the back up of the person who reads it. It's highly unlikely it will be that specific person's fault and the more aggressive you are, the less likely they are to want to help you.

Write one or two short paragraph about what has happened. A few sentences about how it has made you feel. Then bullet point what you expect them to do to put it right e.g. an apology, a financial gesture, free work on something in the future.

Don't accept their first offer if you feel that it doesn't put things right. Keep pushing, politely but firmly until you get what you expect.

Cherryapple1 Sun 17-May-15 18:40:47

I would contact trading standards and see what template letters they have.

HexBramble Sun 17-May-15 18:55:41

Thanks. Good advice from our both - I really do appreciate it.
I'm hoping my letter will come across as firm but fair and honest. I don't 'do' aggression per se, but I don't want to come across as a pushover.
I'm following another posters advice re template, and I've also been on MSE to have a look at their suggestions re complaints.
Thank you.

Cherryapple1 Mon 18-May-15 08:27:50

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/cars-and-other-vehicles/garage-repairs-and-services/disputing-a-bill-for-garage-repairs/

info here

Cherryapple1 Mon 18-May-15 08:28:37

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/cars-and-other-vehicles/garage-repairs-and-services/problems-with-the-quality-of-garage-repairs-or-service/

and here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now