Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Applying for tax credits

(18 Posts)
sanityisamyth Thu 14-May-15 20:10:32

I separated from my husband in January 2015.

I am currently trying to claim working tax credits and child tax credits.

My P60 has now been given to me for April 2014-2015. I was on maternity leave for 12 weeks of this financial year but it's this year they want information for.

I wasn't single for most of last financial year. Do I need to add my husband's earnings?

He's being very difficult and threatening to make me homeless in 6 months sad

sanityisamyth Fri 15-May-15 18:57:26


I just called them and they're too busy to talk to me and hung up.

Spent 30 minutes on hold earlier then another hour on hold before they hung up again.

Not happy!

imnottoofussed Fri 15-May-15 19:02:18

I think you fill it in with last year's details then immediately tell them of your change in circumstances. I applied for them last year I was earning half what I was the year before so as soon as my award notice came through based on the previous year's figures I contacted them to tell them my circumstances were different for the current year. They recalculate it and send you a new award

sanityisamyth Fri 15-May-15 19:35:56

Thanks imnottoofussed. I have never claimed them before and have filled it in using the information on my P60 for the last financial year. I was also on maternity leave for 12 weeks for that financial year so have put £1200 down for that as deductions.

I have tried to phone them today but no luck. I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm also changing nurseries in August and jobs in September so need to ask them whether it's worth telling them that now or waiting until later in the year.

Woodenheart Fri 15-May-15 21:33:23

Not much help, but ring at 08.00 a.m tomorrow & you should get through straight away.

sanityisamyth Fri 15-May-15 23:09:09

Good idea wooden - I'll do that x

sanityisamyth Sat 16-May-15 08:23:40

Phoned at 7.58 and I'm still on hold ��

This music is driving me nuts!!!

Woodenheart Sat 16-May-15 08:30:46

Oh no arghhhhh

Fairylea Sat 16-May-15 08:33:07

Unfortunately tax credits are just awful at answering the phone. You just have to keep trying constantly and when you do get on hold just keep hanging on. It's taken me an hour of being on hold each time to speak to someone - and that's normally after just being hung up on several times first. It's infuriating.

sanityisamyth Sat 16-May-15 08:34:17

Hurrah!!! Even though I wasn't single last financial year I only have to disclose my income as its a single application.

Fingers crossed for a speedy return!

Jackieharris Sat 16-May-15 08:34:39

Did you make you claim in January?

You are effectively making 2 claim now- one for jan-April and one for this tax year.

It is very confusing g if you've never done it before!

You will need to send them your p60 for 13/14 for them to calculate your jan-apr entitlement.

As for mat leave the amount you include depends on whether you were on ma or SMp.

It's just on your earnings now not your ex's.

You said he's threatening to make you homeless-how? Are you still living together? This may cause problems if they think you are making a false claim as a single parent when you're not.

For your change in circumstances coming up there is no point telling them now. It won't change anything now. Just tell them within 1 month of the change.

You should also claim a tax rebate for the time you were on mat leave.

sanityisamyth Sat 16-May-15 17:29:12

Thanks Jackie that's helpful. I've never made a claim before - this is my first one. You're right - it's very confusing!

Husband is no longer living here. He's moved in with his gf. He's named on the mortgage but has said he won't pay it more than 6 months but I'm unlikely to be allowed to take over the mortgage as he's destroyed my credit score. I'll have to sell the house hmm

nj32 Sun 17-May-15 17:42:57

Have a look into your rights regarding the mortgage, my h left 6 wks ago & my understanding is if children are involved he has to pay the mortgage until they are 18 the childrens act i think its called. I'm still waiting for a tax credits form to apply!

sanityisamyth Sun 17-May-15 18:03:54

Thanks nj32. I've got my solicitor on the case but he's being very dishonest and difficult to deal with he's refusing to tell me anything and is forcing me to get my solicitor to extract information out of him.

Jackieharris Mon 18-May-15 00:21:26

Try to backdate your claim from the date he left then.

If the mortgage is in his name he is still liable to pay it whether he's living there or not.

Is it and the house deeds in both your names?

Your credit score is your own- being married doesn't affect it as such. Joint debts do. Do you have any joint debts/bank accounts? Separate all your finances now if you haven't already done so. His bad debts should affect your credit score if they are just in his name.

You need to talk to your solicitor about his threats to stop paying mortgage. The divorce settlement may well include him paying it until youngest dc is 18.

Even if he just stops repossession takes quite a while so you won't be homeless there and then.

Keep the bank informed of what is going on.

sanityisamyth Mon 18-May-15 05:44:12

Thanks Jackie that's really kind of you. I didn't know I could backdate the claim. I sent it on Saturday so will see what happens. Hopefully it should come though quickly.

Husband took out credit cards and loans in my name, maxed them out and didn't pay them off.

He's tentatively suggested paying the mortgage for slightly longer than 6 months but he's just being a controlling, manipulative bully like he was all through our marriage. hmm

sanityisamyth Mon 18-May-15 05:45:49

Yes the mortgage and the house is in both our names. The two solicitors I've spoken to told me to get the mortgage, at least, in my name but I'm worried he'll turn around and refuse to pay it as he's not associated with it anymore.

Jackieharris Mon 18-May-15 09:48:58

Backdating can usually be done from 3 months before the claim date so it depends when they are taking the claim date from- when you first contacted them or on receipt of the form.

Even if you are married it's criminal fraud for him to have taken out debts in your name without your consent. Did he forge your signature? You have to tell your solicitor this and report him to the police. Tell the lenders about the fraud and say you are not liable to pay.

The divorce aspects isn't my speciality so take advice from a divorce lawyer on that ie the ongoing mortgage/divorce settlement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now