Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

divorce settlement affecting benefits

(4 Posts)
Maximoo1984 Wed 13-May-15 11:32:23

hi everyone
need some advice if poss...
I am receiving a lump sum settlement from my ex husband from our divorce of over £16000 but under £30000.
I am currently in £11000 of debt, I am also on child tax and working credit... (I have not received lump sum yet tho obviously).
I have been told by the housing officer this morning that I can have up to £16000 savings or whatever before it effects my tax credits and housing benefit if I need this. I am currently registered as homeless and myself and my daughter are awaiting help from housing department at local council. I would like to know if the will look at the whole lump sum or the remainder once my debts are cleared. can anyone help please?

FromMeToYou Wed 13-May-15 11:35:32

As far as I know it's what's left after you have paid your debt.

Maximoo1984 Wed 13-May-15 11:38:53

that's what I thought but just need to confirm it before I sign any paperwork for anything or anyone

FromMeToYou Wed 13-May-15 15:01:42

Ask on MoneySavingExpert, they have a forum for benefits but I think the usual advice is pay your debts, replace your knackered car that would need replacing anyway, pay for that school trip now instead of next month, that kind of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now