Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DLA/housing benefit - moving in with parents

(5 Posts)
Theunwritten Fri 08-May-15 11:11:50

I was wondering if anyone could advise me please on this?
I'm a single parent with two children, currently expecting twins.
My ex partner left at the beginning of my pregnancy.
When my maternity pay finishes I won't be returning to work due to childcare costs and I only work part time at the moment.
I don't know how I will manage financially aswel as emotionally/physically as a single parent of four, so I'm considering moving back to my parents (council) house who are happy to have us and will support us as much as possible.
The problem is this, will my parents lose their housing benefit/council tax benefit if I do? My mothers receives higher rate DLA both components.
Does anyone have any understanding of this please and can advise?
Obviously I would be prepared to contribute towards us living there using any maintenance payments I recieve for the children.
I have no savings and would recieve child tax credits/Maintenance but I don't know what this will be just yet.
Thanks in advance.

pebblepath Fri 08-May-15 11:51:56

Your mum's DLA won't be affected, as it is never means-tested and only depends on her care/mobility needs.

Some people on housing benefit get a deduction for non-dependents moving in, but people on DLA are exempt, so her housing benefit shouldn't be affected. For council tax benefit I think that is also unlikely to be affected, but each council decides on its own rules on council tax, so you need to get local advice or check the council website.

Your family unit (you and your children) will be counted as a separate household to your parents, so you should get income support if you have children under 5 as well as child tax credits and maintenance. You can get help with childcare costs through tax credits as well, if you decide to return to work.

You should get a benefits check through the CAB for both your parents and you, to make sure you're getting all the right benefits.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Fri 08-May-15 11:53:30

If you're working you may be expected to contribute towards their rent but not if you are not.

pebblepath Fri 08-May-15 12:09:22

Even if OP does work, she will not have to contribute to rent because her mother is on DLA and gets housing benefit. There are non-dependent deductions normally made if there are other adults in the household, but these won't apply if the HB applicant is getting DLA.

Theunwritten Fri 08-May-15 12:14:49

Thankyou so much pebblepath for your replies.
It's so hard knowing what to do for the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now