Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car insurance for beginners..Sheila's Wheels?

(7 Posts)
mrsdavidbowie Tue 05-May-15 18:24:24

I'm sorting out car insurance..ex has always done it.
Bloody hell its complicated!
Sheilas Wheels are coming out well both price wise and feedback.
Has anyone had experience?
I'm planning to do breakdown cover separately once I get my head round it

KraggleLego Tue 05-May-15 18:30:02

Check the comparison websites and make sure you use different ones as they have different insurance companies each. You should also ring around the ones that don't use these websites such as direct line etc as they are sometimes cheaper.
The best advice I can give you is look on Martin Lewis' website, Money Savings Expert. I recommend him as the font of all knowledge grin

cathpip Tue 05-May-15 18:36:27

I was with Sheila's wheels for a number of years and then I had to make a claim...... After explaining the accident and who I hit (my dh) they proceeded with repairs and when my dh's insurance company supplied them with his repair bill they said "a named driver on a policy cannot make a claim against the policy" after reading the t and c's, yes they were correct but why they didn't remind me when I phoned them is beyond me. Let's just say 5 months later after dh's insurance company took them to court, they paid up smile. Suffice to say I have never used them since!

FromMeToYou Tue 05-May-15 18:52:35

www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/ This is the car insurance page. Read this if you haven't already, it tells you how to get the cheapest, and you can still see the feedback rates for different insurers.

mrsdavidbowie Tue 05-May-15 21:29:48

Thankyou.
Yes I'm trawling through comparison websites and will phone a few tomorrow and see if I can get a good deal.

specialsubject Wed 06-May-15 11:57:40

don't get too excited about brand. Many of the brands are actually exactly the same company. I've just had a better quote from Esure, rang them up, told them I was with Sheila's Wheels and they matched the price as they are the same company. The SW branding is very irritating (stupid pink, women in fancy dress, cupcakes) so I rather resent going with them, but the cover is a good deal for me.

NEVER blindly renew as loyalty costs.

haven't claimed so can't comment on that. The scope of the cover is really the important thing. For instance, many offer a courtesy car now but it is smoke and mirrors as you only get it 'if available' and only if your car is repairable. As any car worth under £3k will be an instant write-off in an accident, this benefit is useless.

go through the MSE instructions (it does take ages), answer all questions truthfully, check excesses and what you are actually covered for.

just bought my new insurance today, saved 10% after a lot of comparing and time on the phone.

you'll also need to change your breakdown cover every year, same as your house insurance. Again, loyalty is for suckers.

mrsdavidbowie Wed 06-May-15 21:03:48

Sheilas Wheels were bloody rude when I phoned so they won't be getting my business!!
Amazing what ISNT covered in initial quote...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now