Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits will stop

(55 Posts)
Morgan97 Mon 04-May-15 06:48:38

Well everyone I've been on this site to help me through my problems with tax credits or lack of them! In case none of you know if the Tory's get in this week they WILL stop tax credits. PLEASE support me in this and DON'T vote them in again. They don't care about us ordinary people they care about making the rich richer and the poor poorer!!VOTE FOR ED he's made his promise set in stone.

Kittykat60 Mon 04-May-15 08:06:10

Yes I believe all this hassle they are giving ordinary parents on their tax credits could well and truly cost them the election, we need to stand up for our rights and get shot of these lot once and for all before we are all destitute and homeless.

Floundering Mon 04-May-15 08:11:36

Do you know this as fact ?

Or is it because all the ( increasingly desperate ) parties are each picking on one of the many bits of gossip going round to discredit their rivals?

I just wish ALL the parties would stop slagging each other off & concentrate on promoting what THEIR party will do to get my vote.

Superexcited Mon 04-May-15 08:16:15

Are they going to get rid of tax credits or are they going to change them to universal credits?

Stickledpink Mon 04-May-15 08:21:16

Do you have actual concrete evidence for this?

Or is it something you have read in the Guardian or heard through the Labour Party doing scaremongering and slagging off, which they all seem to be doing at the moment , like a PP said?

DinosaursRoar Mon 04-May-15 08:35:41

Hmm, I thought they were going to roll them into universal credit, so yes scrap them being a separate thing to applied for, but not scrapping in the sense your thinking.

I can't get angry about re-naming and simplifying applications for benefits.

fredfredsausagehead1 Mon 04-May-15 08:38:24

Tax credits for working people, is any of this tax back? Fair enough if the lower income tax! Why is it called tax credit? Universal credit much more appropriate

Morgan97 Mon 04-May-15 08:49:51

All parties will slag each other off and they all make promises they can't keep. I can only speak from my own experience my tax credits n child tax credits have been stopped as they believe I'm in a relationship which I'm not,I'm now struggling to survive never mind live. My evidence in 2012 was enough yet the same evidence this time around wasn't enough although my circumstances haven't changed. A well known fact is that the government as it stands are trying to claw back money and they don't care who they step on to retrieve it. I'm not a liar I've been truthful with tax credits from day one,they have put me in a position where I can no longer live a decent life. I was told by someone at tax credits to actually lie and make a joint claim with the person whos house I share! This disgusting treatment has got to stop. Like I say Tory's are only interested in the rich who incidentally pull the strings for their own needs. I'm not a political person normaly I just want the best for my child and I can see what's happening to this country it's ran by the rich for the rich and it's up to us mums n dads to make a difference.if this post offends then I'm sorry but I won't stand by and do nothing my child deserves the best I can give her and if that means airing my views in hope that someone will help then so be it. N just for the record no one who can do anything will but hey it's worth a try isn't it.

DinosaursRoar Mon 04-May-15 08:55:34

So you think they might be stopped completely, but have no evidence for that, just a hunch?

It might be a lot better for people who currently rely on tax credit money if the system was simplified.

Morgan97 Mon 04-May-15 09:02:00

Just a hunch ATM,they change things every week it's hard to explain but I had a letter in 2012 telling me I shared my home with another adult,I do we are not in a relationship merely share a house,I sent evidence they asked for,no change to my award,had same letter in feb 2015 sent same evidence claim stopped 26th March due to insufficient evidence! Numerous letters sent by me n signed for by them no reply!! Like I said Tories are trying to claw back money left right n centre it's people like me that suffer. I'm not the only one either. I have to make a stand about this I'm surviving on my wages from my part time job n child benefit. I CAN'T pay towards my bills n face being kicked out so will be homeless. Tories WILL cut benefits they always do.

MadameJulienBaptiste Mon 04-May-15 09:02:55

It's been known for years that tax credits are being phased out and replaced with universal credit. No one currently claiming tax credits will be worse off as a result And its being rolled out grafually. I think UC will be easier to apply for if you claim more than one thing.
I actually read the govt docs about it and I think it's a good thing overall. We get a small amount of tax credits but ours WILL stop under UC as we have savings over the limit but I still think UC is a better system.
So please OP don't come on here shouting rubbish like that.

Morgan97 Mon 04-May-15 09:14:20

I say things how they are and based on my own experience. Will keep saying it till someone listens Tories are working to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. I'm not the only one who thinks this,it's been on question time and radio 4. Yes universal credit is a good thing but will it actually work. HMRC move the goal posts to suit themselves. They pick on people that they think won't fight back. It's a proven fact that they play a waiting game with the likes of people like me who have their claims stopped to see who gives up first.

Kittykat60 Mon 04-May-15 09:37:38

All I can say is wait until you have your money stopped or like many of us are put under undue pressure for weeks on end living on a knifes edge wondering if you will be able to survive in a couple of weeks time and see how you feel then.

VanitasVanitatum Mon 04-May-15 09:55:49

'I say things how they are' - pretty stupid thing to claim when you're actually perpetuating complete misinformation. I'm not a Tory but you're chatting absolute shit.

You just need to provide more evidence of your situation and stop extrapolating from your personal experience without any basis in fact.

HelenF350 Mon 04-May-15 10:03:14

So what you are saying is don't vote Tory because you think they might stop tax credits? You have no evidence of this and nothing to base it on. Universal credit has been in the pipeline for a while, you say you think it will be a better system but will it work? Here's a novel idea, why don't you wait and see if it does instead of spouting complete nonsense that you have no basis for? Vote for whoever you like but don't come into forums saying what parties will and won't do when you have no evidence to back it up. Why not tell people what other parties are going to do to help the situation and make a positive thread instead of this nonsensical doom and gloom.

Morgan97 Mon 04-May-15 10:05:21

I don't actually need to do anything,If any of you bothered to read,watch and listen to the media you will all realize I'm right in what I say I don't need to prove anything the proof is staring me in the face. The rich will get richer the poor will get poorer. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I'm not in the habit of chatting absolute shit. Be nice to see how you would react if your tax credits stopped without warning and you were struggling to survive never mind live!! All I asked for in my original post was for support not negativity!!!

Superexcited Mon 04-May-15 10:14:43

I am not a Tory supporter (the complete opposite in fact) but I don't agree with scaremongering without any basis of fact.
I have no doubt that there will be huge cuts to welfare if the Tories get back in, even they have proposed £12m of cuts and haven't said where these cuts are going to come from.
I still think it is not certain enough that they will scrap all tax credits for people to be stating this as fact.
By all means, come on here and state that the Tories plan to cut £12m from welfare during the next term, question where these cuts are going to come from and ask people to consider whether they want to vote for a party who plan huge cuts from welfare but are not prepared to say which groups of people they are going to cut from. Ask them not to vote Tory on that basis because that is more accurate than stating that's they are going to scrap all tax credits without replacing it with something which equally helps poorer families.
I have my own ideas about what they might do and who it will affect the most but I can't present my ideas as factual information.

bloodyteenagers Mon 04-May-15 10:16:35

Doesn't matter who is in power, if Hmrc believe you are in a relationship with someone then you cannot claim as a single claim.
It has nothing to do with any party wanting to claw back money.
You need to provide more evidence that you are not in a relationship with this person.

Yes 2012 it was probably easier. But 3 years later still living with the same mate. Can understand why they want more info.

Surely it would be better for you to move into your own 2 bed place rather than renting 2 rooms in someone else's house?

WipsGlitter Mon 04-May-15 10:22:53

The whole system of tax credits is bonkers. It's not a credit it's a benefit. It means employers get away with paying low wages.

Morgan97 Mon 04-May-15 10:24:26

Yes of course it would be better to be in my own place if it was that easy I would have done it years ago,a months rent n a months deposit in advance admin fee credit check fee n that's before furniture etc. I'm a single parent though no fault of my own circumstances forced me to leave an abusive relationship. You all know deep down I'm right benefits will be slashed regardless of who you are. Live a week in my shoes and comment on my life!!

wigglylines Mon 04-May-15 10:27:39

"No one currently claiming tax credits will be worse off as a result"

That's simply not true.

They publicly stated that no one will be worse off under Universal Credit, but that's spin, pure and simple.

For example if you look at how UC is calculated, you get a new amount which for many is much less than they get now, then you get a top up to make it the same as the amount you got before UC. So they can say "no one is worse off".

HOWEVER, as soon as your circumstances change, you lose the top up. So, new job? Top Up gone. Move house? Top Up gone.

So in not much time, people will be much worse off.

They're making huge cuts to the welfare bill. They can't do that without making people worse off, can then?!

Superexcited Mon 04-May-15 10:31:54

I agree that it is a benefit and not a tax credit, the name is very misleading.
I do think that many people will always need top ups though due to low wages as some jobs just cannot pay enough for families to live in without claiming additional benefits.
Most factory jobs are relatively low paid, if we increased the wages of factory workers significantly enough so that they don't need to rely on tax credits or other top up benefits then the cost of goods produced by factories would rise and the workers would have to pay more for their goods and therefore their wages still wouldn't be enough to live on.
There is the knock on effect on those who receive higher wages too. If we significantly increase the wages of everyone on low wages then we have to increase the salaries of the next tier of workers to make sure that people feel it is worthwhile undertaking debt and years of study to achieve a career. Why would somebody train to be a nurse or a teacher and have a huge student debt only to earn the same as somebody who has had 2 hours of in the job training? Where do we find the money to increase the salaries of all workers?
When everybody has an increase in pay the cost of everything rises anyway and nobody is any better off and some people will still need benefit top ups.

bloodyteenagers Mon 04-May-15 10:32:13

You know there's help with deposits from HB?
You could have gone through WA years ago to be helped. You could have gone through homeless.
Is your name on the waiting list?

wigglylines Mon 04-May-15 10:32:46

"I still think it is not certain enough that they will scrap all tax credits for people to be stating this as fact"

The Tory's plan is to make it part of Universal Credit, that's on record isn't it, why the doubt about it?

wigglylines Mon 04-May-15 10:34:29

Or Tories' even!

(I now have an image of one all-powerful tory in my mind, scary!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now