Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car finance with bad credit ? Anyone managed to get it?

(13 Posts)
mayaknew Sun 26-Apr-15 19:07:12

Our car is starting to need work done to it so was looking to trade it in (we have about 10 months left on the current finance) so hoping to get new finance .

Unfortunately since getting that car our finances have been a bit chaotic and we have ended up with bad credit . Also , I'm a full time student just now so my only income is a nurses bursary . Dh works and goes to college so he gets an almost full time wage and a student loan .

Is there any hope for us ? sad

fairgame Sun 26-Apr-15 19:19:37

My brother has just got car finance with Stoneacre. God only knows how he has managed it because he has CCJ's and an attachment of earnings for none payment of council tax. Bailiffs were at his house last year over his council tax arrears and he has defaulted on countless credit agreements and even had furniture repossessed from BrightHouse!
He has been trying for years to get credit and turned down everywhere. Last year he was trying to get an Amigo loan but couldn't get a guarantor but he has got his new Stoneacre car last week confused
Might be worth a try there!

mayaknew Sun 26-Apr-15 19:28:11

Thanks fair game . I had a wee look and unfortunately they have no branches in Scotland sad

Poolbirthx2 Sun 26-Apr-15 21:29:08

Yes i did too -really wasnt expecting to be accepted but all went through ok ��

mayaknew Sun 26-Apr-15 21:52:32

That's good to hear pool . I usually go to Arnold Clark but I don't know who the best would be to go to if we have bad credit , a big company like that or maybe a smaller company . I'm not sure we will need find out I think .

Poolbirthx2 Mon 27-Apr-15 07:40:31

I went to car craft just because it was recommended by a friend who had bad credit. Car craft sorted the finance out for me through barclays

callmewhatever Mon 27-Apr-15 17:56:03

I got finance through Arnold Clark despite having poor credit. I think they use a number of agents, so more chance of getting it. I honestly didn't think I would have a chance due to stupidity when I was younger, but got accepted no problem.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 27-Apr-15 18:05:31

Be wary of companies that offer credit to those with bad credit history as they will hammer you with high interest.

we have a debt management plan in place with payplan and they do offer credit to folk with poor (ours is about as bad as it gets) credit. their credit company is called red potato but i don't know what the interest rates are like.

what is wrong with your car? could you get it fixed or even have a bash yourselves? they are like giant jigsaw puzzles crossed with mechanno kits really. if you go ontoa car forum there could be instructions videos. You will save ££££

TheMoa Mon 27-Apr-15 18:10:44

Car credit is apparently very easy to get.

The guy in the showroom said they really just want to verify that you are who you say you are, live where you say you do, and have ties like employment etc.

They are not terribly concerned with people's credit history, so even if your credit history is shocking, but you're employed, on the electoral roll, and have a bank account, you should be fine.

loddi Sat 06-May-17 09:39:31

Why is it that if you drive an expensive car you can park in the disabled parking bay? and nothing is done.i have shamed a few drivers and blocked two cars in who had no badges went on my merry way.they were not happy but i was they were going to call the police so i said well go ahead as it would be a 1000 pound fine police not called so i went home.lesson taught.

19lottie82 Mon 08-May-17 11:22:13

loddi I think you might want to start your own thread......

SwiftAnchor Mon 08-May-17 11:29:57

Arnold Clark told me that they don't run a credit check on anyone with an income above £28k so if that applies to you, then you should be fine. This was in Scotland too.

Blankatm Thu 18-May-17 05:57:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now