Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What does Universal Credit mean for me?

(7 Posts)
BloodyDogHairs Tue 17-Feb-15 12:17:56

I am currently a SAHM, I was made redundant when I was on maternity leave so didn't have a job to return too. My children are 1 and 2, my OH works full time, we don't receive any other benefits only tax credits (not working tax) and child benifet.

Am I right in thinking that when my youngest turns 3 I will need to attend the job center if I want to continue with Universal Credit? I'm in Scotland so I have no idea when it all starts but I just want to know whats ahead.

SoonToBeSix Tue 17-Feb-15 14:43:19

It depends how much your oh works. He needs to earn the equivalent of minimum wage and half again full time hours ( actual hours are irrelevant) then you wouldn't need to work until your youngest dc was 13. Or if he earns the equivalent of double minimum wage you will not have to work at any age to keep receiving UC.

SoonToBeSix Tue 17-Feb-15 14:43:51

Sorry I meant how much your oh earns not works.

SoonToBeSix Tue 17-Feb-15 14:45:59

If your oh doesn't earn enough you will need to " make up the difference" once your youngest dc is in school. At age three they will start to "prepare" you for employment with compulsory training etc.

InfinitySeven Tue 17-Feb-15 14:52:00

Yep, if you want to continue receiving UC (and your husband's wage makes you eligible to do so), you'll start with meetings when your youngest is three. These are usually positioned around helping you gain skills - it looks like it'll be more about work experience than funding decent training, though. You can attend workshops to develop your CV, for example.

When your youngest is old enough for school, you'll attend regularly, and do "job hunting activities" to "earn the difference".

There will be more data when more people have actually gone through the process, but it's unlikely to change significantly.

BloodyDogHairs Tue 17-Feb-15 15:19:48

Thankyou, I planned to start looking for work again when my youngest started nursery so that's fine. I signed-on at the job center for six months when I was made redundant (income based jobseekers) and the thought of stepping thru they doors again fills me with dread.

My OH earns around £25000 - £28,000 so we wouldn't be losing a huge amount of TC if I decided to stop claiming.

SoonToBeSix Tue 17-Feb-15 15:39:02

Op because of your husbands wage nothing will happen until your youngest dc is 13.
Your conditionality is as a household to earn minimum wage and a half between you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now