Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can't pay the rent!!!

(55 Posts)
MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 13:13:56

I am fuming mad with my ex partner! He hasn't paid any maintenance in the last three months. He promised to do it this week but failed again! I have spent all my savings in surviving and now I don't have enough money to pay the rent (which is due tomorrow, but hopefully won't go out until Monday!)

Here is my situation:

- can't count on relatives
- can't trust my ex (that is why I am like this!)
- I have a credit card but I believe it would be super expensive to get all the cash for the rent out, plus I am afraid that will ring some some of alert and will affect my credit rating
- I don't qualify for any benefits (have checked)

This is such a messed up situation, I have never been late in any payments, least of all the rent!

Would hugely appreciate any advice.

gallicgirl Sat 14-Feb-15 13:17:48

If you can't rely on the maintenance payments then I'm afraid you'll have to budget as if you won't get them.
Are you sure you won't qualify for tax credits or housing benefit?
It's not ideal but perhaps you should consider moving to cheaper accommodation.
I appreciate that doesn't solve your immediate situation though.

antimatter Sat 14-Feb-15 13:19:09

I would check how much would it cost to take cash out of your credit card. Each deal is different - just call them or look up on the internet or check your paperwork.

Are you able to trace all your expenses?

Have you checked if you can switch any energy providers, phone, cancel some regular direct debits you don't need?

If your ex is behind with maintenance that is something I think you can read some advice here:
www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/relationships_e/relationships_children_and_young_people_e/relationships_child_maintenance.htm

But your first step is to find cash for next week.
Can you just pay some on Monday and then the rest later?

gallicgirl Sat 14-Feb-15 13:19:25

Oh and I would explain situation to landlord and make a plan to repay any shortfall. If you have a good payment history, hopefully they will be understanding.

Babyroobs Sat 14-Feb-15 13:21:53

If he isn't reliable in paying maintainence could you consider going through the CMS. Also see if you can get help from housing benefit as maintainence isn't taken into account.

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 13:26:52

Looks like my two main options are:

- contact landlord to let him know I will be a few days late (hopefully not more than a week)

- get cash out from credit card. Interest is 1.7% so ouch!

totally agree that I can rely on ex. But our whole life is in our neighbourhood (school, friends...)... moving would be awful. I am not even paying that much compared to other parts of London. Plus, I work full time and have a good salary! I should be able to afford rent... and food...

Sorry for the rant. I am really just pissed off because all I do is work and yet here I am!

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 13:27:53

I can't get housing benefit. I am earn too much from work so don't qualify. Have checked.

FourAndDone Sat 14-Feb-15 13:30:16

Overdraft at bank? Many you can apply online and have access straight away.smile

WaxOnWaxOff Sat 14-Feb-15 13:37:16

The anger at your ex is completely understandable.

But, although you should most definitely pursue a contribution from him, you need to re-look at your outgoings, and don't count on it.

You must be on a pretty good salary if you're really not entitled to any help at all, so time to sit down and see where exactly it's all going.

WaxOnWaxOff Sat 14-Feb-15 13:39:13

Meant to say, I'd definitely contact the landlord for a few days/weeks grace. If you've been a good tenant up till now they may be more understanding than you might think.

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 13:52:16

Where is all going? Rent is more than 60% of my net salary. I have looked at other areas but most of London is just crazy, unless you move out and spend half of your life in a train cramped with strangers. Or you share, or squat, or god knows how people do it.

The rest of my salary goes to TFL, food and basic necessities like clothes. I have holes in my socks btw and shop at Primark / charities.

I am work all day long. This sucks so much. Sorry, I am just angry with myself now. angry

I will call the bank, then my landlord, then sit down, cry a little and do some maths.

Thanks all for your advice.

lemisscared Sat 14-Feb-15 14:00:04

please don't borrow to pay your rent. how will you pay it back? what about next month? the minimum payment on your credit card is only going to cover the interest and minimal repayment.

my advice is to talk to your landlord explain the situation with a promise that you will get an official maintenance arrangement with your ex. Then contact the appropriate agency and get something in place.

why the fuck do these fuckers think they can just walk away and leave their families in the lucrh like this?

the CAB should be able to help with this. you might need an appointment though.

FourAndDone Sat 14-Feb-15 14:05:43

Ms good luck, I disagree and would borrow. I'd be scared that the landlord would give notice if he thought that I was struggling.
Then that would be more stress and a whole lot more money to move pay new bond etc.
I understand others will disagree, that's just what I would do.smile

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:08:06

Thanks... it's not (entirely) his fault. He is a contractor and not being paid on time.

Agree I shouldn't rely on maintenance to pay basic bills.

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:09:03

on the bright side at least I have a job and good credit history!

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:09:54

need to call the bank now but I am afraid of start sobbing and becoming "too emotional". Ah, self-pity!

lemisscared Sat 14-Feb-15 14:10:14

i do see that four but its only digging a bigger hole when next month he hasn't paid and the op has the rent AND a cc bill. believe me we have been in a similar situation and borrowing only makes it worse.

probably best to get advice before you tackle landlord.

if you are not in receipt of maintenance claim as if you aren't. you may be entitled to help that way then let your ex pay it back to the dwp.

FourAndDone Sat 14-Feb-15 14:11:02

Ms don't get yourself down. It's just one of those things. It shouldn't come out until Monday morning. I'm sure you will have it sorted by then.

lemisscared Sat 14-Feb-15 14:11:25

its not your fault though op and are you sure its not an excuse?

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:12:19

maintenance payments are not taken into account when calculating benefits anyway.

lemisscared Sat 14-Feb-15 14:12:22

Don't call the bank until you have lined up all your ducks and got some advice.

FourAndDone Sat 14-Feb-15 14:12:53

I understand lem, your advice is without a doubt the most sensible.
I'm a live in the moment kinda gal so next month wouldn't register on my radar just yet.grin

TalkinPeace Sat 14-Feb-15 14:13:46

do not put your rent on the credit card - especially from cash - as its a beggar to repay.
THat 1.7% is per month and runs every single day.

Talk to the bank on Monday. YYY to floods of tears at them : gotta be worth it
get your overdraft extended and then look at your other options for saving money.

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:17:17

question: what happens if my rent is due to go out tomorrow by standing order and there are not enough funds in my account?

Will it not go out?

Will only part of it go out?

Will it affect my credit rating?

MsMarshmallow Sat 14-Feb-15 14:18:18

Also I don't think I could get an increase in overdraft... my current OD is 200, would need at least 700

That seems a lot!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: