Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SAHM & money

(6 Posts)
YesAnastasia Wed 11-Feb-15 11:40:21

How do I get a credit card or apply for a new limit if I don't have my own 'income'?

I'm finding it hard to believe that this is a massive area where SAHP are invisible.

Any advice? Is there some way to do this that I don't know of?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 11-Feb-15 12:29:19

Lenders are not ripping over themselves to give credit to people who can't pay it back. You're not invisible, therefore, but your zero income status is going to work against you. Don't you have a credit card from before you opted out of paid employment? Would having a second card on your partner's account be a solution?

Fairylea Wed 11-Feb-15 12:31:56

I put down my family income as income. I know from another thread on here recently that it seems this what lots of other sahms have also done.

egnahc Wed 11-Feb-15 13:33:40

You become an additional card holder on your dh account? Share children share a bank account and all cash. Simple

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 11-Feb-15 13:36:36

Just share accounts and credit cards. If I were you, I have no problem spending on a credit card that I'm not actually liable for!

It's not being invisible. It's just that you have no way to pay it back other than from your DH's income. So just acknowledge that fact and make use of it. (ie joint finances).

GothicRainbow Wed 11-Feb-15 13:38:12

I've recently had a credit card agreement with Sainsburys approved and I'm a SAHM. It wasn't an issue for them, I have a joint bank account with DH and they took his earnings to be my earnings also.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: