Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any advice on the best way to sell a car?

(18 Posts)
Applesnotcakes Mon 09-Feb-15 12:39:58

I need to sell my old Audi as my parents are very kindly giving me their old car.

The Audi is a sliver/grey A4 from 1999, so its old but mileage is only 70,000 and although its got a few dents and marks it really goes very well and I'm sure would be a good car for someone. We buy any car will give me £265 and want to take £50 of that for their trouble.

Seem crazy to me - a whole car to sell and I can only get £215.

Tbh I'm not expecting loads more but it would be nice to sell it to someone who would get something from it - I'm sure there's someone out there that would pay say £400 - £450 for a solid, reliable car even if it is a bit old. I just don't know how to find them

What do the wise ladies of Mumsnet think? Should I try ebay?? Are there other online listings to try?

Any guidance much appreciated

TalkinPeace Mon 09-Feb-15 15:52:24

I'd go with ebay

jazzandh Mon 09-Feb-15 15:56:02

monkeyfacegrace Mon 09-Feb-15 15:57:23

Nooooo not eBay, buyers are insane most of the time.

Use a local Facebook selling page.

IdespairIreallydo Mon 09-Feb-15 15:59:09

Try an ad in your local paper or Autotrader

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Mon 09-Feb-15 16:03:32

Facebook local selling page

LillianGish Mon 09-Feb-15 16:29:18

I just got rid of such a car, but I have to say I gave it away (much as your parents are doing) to a friend. The trouble is the book price of a car that age is virtually worthless so although you know it it is super reliable etc etc (as did I with mine) will a complete stranger just take your word for it? When it comes to insuring it an insurance company will only insure it for the book price so I think that makes it pretty hard to get rid of. Unless you know someone, who knows it is reliable, who wants it. I gave mine to a friend who couldn't otherwise afford a car and (touch wood) it is still going strong. Not very helpful sorry (and by the way I do agree that it seems crazy that that is what happens with cars).

gamerchick Mon 09-Feb-15 16:31:41

You won't get what you're wanting unfortunately and we buy any car won't give you what they say you will.

Privately you might get 150 quid for it.

gamerchick Mon 09-Feb-15 16:32:06

Applesnotcakes Mon 09-Feb-15 19:29:37

thanks all for your thoughts - I'll look into Facebook. And Lilian,you're exactly right - I just don't know anyone that's in that situation. It's frustrating not to be able to match car and suitable owner! Feels like such a waste but maybe that's just how it is.

Seriouslyffs Mon 09-Feb-15 19:35:29

Give it to a family member or friend or part exchange. It's practically impossible to sell a car privately and an enormous hassle.

Applesnotcakes Mon 09-Feb-15 20:52:00

So I'm beginning to realise!

shabbycaddy Mon 09-Feb-15 22:11:44

Use gum tree or auto trader, as long as the car has mot on it you should get £500 plus all day long. If the car has no mot it's pretty much scrap value at £150 as people aren't interested in the risk. Try gum tree first as it's free to list and loads of people browse it

shabbycaddy Mon 09-Feb-15 22:14:57

Also to add most people don't care about the car too much at that value as long as it moves and had mot they will bite your hand off, plus side it's a3 and very popular

Lyinginwait888 Mon 09-Feb-15 23:46:56

I've just sold a car to Webuy... It was ok actually. I thought they'd haggle me down but it wasn't that bad.

It seems that nobody buys cars privately these days! Lesson learnt. Good luck x

specialsubject Thu 12-Feb-15 17:54:50

good luck with gumtree - it is scammer central. You get massive amounts of timewasting and then the crook starts talking about sending a 'shipping agent'...

ebay will cost you £40-odd to advertise it.

unfortunately the Great British Public has been fooled into thinking newer cars are better, and that it really matters if there are a couple of tiny scratches. So old cars are worthless and we waste huge amounts of resources building new ones.

Applesnotcakes Sat 14-Feb-15 14:24:01

i know special, its a great shame

young guy at work is taking car from me - giving me £100 and keeping whatever he can sell it for on top of that. He's confident he can get a few hundred and has probably got a better network for that kind of thing than me - plus more motivation and time. So hopefully he'll do okay out of it and I'll have a 100 quid and no hassle.

specialsubject Sat 14-Feb-15 17:33:32

excellent - sounds like a result. Sign the V5 and move on, it is all you can do.

very sad to scrap my ultra-smooth running, 100% reliable 15 year old car, but the welding needed (was it???) was just getting too expensive. (and to be fair it was coming to the end of another set of tyres, another £200)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now