Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any tax experts out there? (freelance work related)

(7 Posts)
Lunaballoon Sat 07-Feb-15 10:47:28

I've recently been given the opportunity to do occasional freelance work for a large well known company. The work fits in well with my other job which is part time. However, HMRC have just informed me that my freelance earnings will be taxed at 40%. As my overall income will still be comfortably below the 40% threshold, can I request a new code or do I have to claim it back at the end of the year? TIA

TalkinPeace Sat 07-Feb-15 14:22:03

Why on earth would HMRC say that?
They are talking piffle.
If you are on BR tax code, that is 20% not 40%
but if you are on the payroll, the RTI system should be able to work it out - that is the point of the darned thing.

Lunaballoon Sat 07-Feb-15 15:38:28

On the HMRC website it says that D0 (the code I've been given) is commonly given to people with more than one job and is taxed at 4o%. Not sure why they automatically presume that having a second income would take me into the higher tax bracket, it certainly doesn't in my case!

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 07-Feb-15 15:42:45

Are you sure it's not 20%? May be worthwhile calling and double checking. I'm self employed and PAYE (2 jobs). The freelance job is taxed at 20%, the other is the basic rate. I think they have made an error telling you that it's 40%.

Lunaballoon Sat 07-Feb-15 15:52:35

It's definitely 40% even though my main income is at 20%. It must be a mistake, right? I'll try to call them on Monday.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Sat 07-Feb-15 15:55:08

Sounds wrong, best to double check it.

TalkinPeace Sat 07-Feb-15 16:45:25

Yup
D0 is for higher rate with second income.
You should be on BR

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: