Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anybody know about ground rent.. eviction?

(6 Posts)
vinegarandbrownpaper Wed 04-Feb-15 10:04:02

I am really stressed- I found out that a cheque I sent for ground rent in 2013 wasn't paid in, and because of a bereavement last year (and no reminder from landlord) I owe £40 for last year and this. The landlord contacted me didn't ask for payment but said his solicitor was going to write to me. Can they take my house?

JontyDoggle37 Wed 04-Feb-15 12:33:57

I'd just contact landlord and say 'I'm sending you a cheque for outstanding amount, apologies for the fail, all sorted now'. If you've paid up, it will be very hard for a solicitor to do much.

QuintlessShadows Wed 04-Feb-15 12:36:01

You pay £40 per year in rent, annually? How does that work?

specialsubject Wed 04-Feb-15 13:03:18

that is GROUND rent, an often-token payment to the freeholder by the lease holder. Sums this low are quite common.

pay it, record you've done so, write by recorded delivery to the landlord and job done. No-one in their right mind is going to start legal proceedings for eviction over £120.

add a note in your diary for next time or set up a standing order.

vickibee Wed 04-Feb-15 13:24:57

I work for a company who have 600+ ground rents and some of them are as low as �2 per annum. It is a PITA collecting it and we don't chase arrears until the leaseholder wants to sell. The solicitor has to check the GR is paid up to date or the sale cannot proceed, a bank will not advance a mortgage etc We have some people who have not paid for several years. Once sold we have to get a notice of transfer (who the new owner is) The GR is troublesome but the restrictive covenants are where the money is made, they need freholder permission to make alterations and the charges can be 000's

vinegarandbrownpaper Wed 04-Feb-15 19:18:18

Cooool! Thanks so much for the insights. . Very reassuring. Have done as advised and sent cheque, recorded delivery and paid in full. I also asked a former solicitor who said 'no judge in their right mind would allow a default claim for such a small amount especially without any reminders' so I feel a lot better smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: